SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

(Solved) - Excel 2010, transpose columns & rows - "paste special" is grayed out.

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by largeprint
  • Latest reply from largeprint
  • Topic Viewed 3497 times

largeprint

I've followed suggestions found online to transpose columns and rows in Excel, using "paste special." (pasting a table from MS Word). It worked fine for the first few tables, but then I ran into problems.
For some unknown reason, it no longer gives me the same options.
On various attempts, either "paste special" is either grayed out, or it allows paste special, but it is missing the "transpose" option.
When it allows partial use of paste special, at the top of the dialogue box, it says "Source: Microsoft Word Document object." Then it provides a file pathway (for my C drive) and gives me a choice of pasting either a Word document object, HTML, text, or a few others. None of these give the results I need, so I'm unable to transpose the columns and rows.
I'm using Office 2010, Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

largeprint

Just to clarify my post: when I attempt to paste the table directly from Word, I get some limited paste special options. When I attempt to paste the table from within Excel, paste special is grayed out. It happens in particular with content being pasted from Word - although it didn't with the first few tables, as mentioned above. The paste special/transpose columns and rows works when I try it on other tables in a different Excel document.

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg
moreeg

Hi largeprint
This will happen when the content from Word is not recognised by Excel as a table. The best way to go about this is to copy from Word and paste/special/text into an empty spreadsheet. If the data gets pasted as you expect then copy from the new spreadsheet and paste/special/transpose to where you want it.
If the original paste from word does not appear as a table as expected you will need to convert text to columns and then transpose.

Posted 1 year ago

largeprint

Thanks Moreeg. Yes, I did successfully do this after I posted the comment - but I was just experimenting and didn't realise quite how I'd done it, so thanks for clarifying!
Just for the record and to clarify what works:
I copied my table from Word and pasted it into a new Excel spreadsheet. Paste Special>Transpose wasn't available, but I pasted it as it was.
Then I copied this table from the first page of the spreadsheet, and at this point was able to use Paste Special>Transpose!

I've got a lot of tables to work on over the next fortnight, so if the problem comes up again I'll be back here...

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!