The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Excel 2010 question using pivot tables

(2 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by bmahnke
  • Latest reply from moreeg
  • Topic Viewed 876 times

bmahnke

Hey all, I have a pivot table that has three report filters (City, Username, Payment Type), three Row Lables (Order ID, Receipt Code, Item Description), and three summed values which are the column labels (Quantity, Unit Cost, Total).

By using the report filters and the row lables (which have filters for each of the three) you can find whatever data you want in a certain criteria, obviously. What I want to know is there a way to list what a user is filtering by in a header or title page of some kind or something similiar?

Example: User filters by City = Chicago, Toronto, New York City, Boston, Miami, Lincoln; Payment Type = Check; Order ID = 1000 - 1010. So for a header with the listed filters I would want to see City: Chicago, Toronto, New York City, Boston, Miami, Lincoln; Payment Type: Check; Order ID: 1000, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008, 1009, 1010 (or some easier way to list the order id's).

Having only worked with pivot tables for a short while I'm have no idea how to do this or if it can be done. I know that for the Report filters it lists the items in the filter box if there is only one or it says multiple items otherwise (or All).

Posted 2 years ago

moreeg

Hi bmahnke

The short answer is "no", it can't be done easily or automatically. The expectation is that what you have in a report filter is a logical summarisation of your data, For example, if the cities you have in your filter comprise the "Eastern Region" and other cities would comprise North or South or West then you would have these summaries in your source data and you would filter on those.

Alternatively, you could move your Cities from the report filter to appear as Rows and then you would see the Pivot arrange the Cities explicitly.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.