If you are linking to another sheet in the same workbook see my previous post. There is no typing required and ....
As a rule, you should not be typing anything - there are too many odd characters that Excel needs to make it practical.
If you want to link to another workbook here is what you will see after right clicking and selecting Hyperlink
- on the extreme right make sure "Existing file ..." is selected
- to the right of that "Current folder" should be selected
- if you want to link to a workbook in another folder you can navigate to the directory with the navigation buttons (the folder icons)
- find the workbook you want to link to in the resulting list and click on it (once only) (also note that you can link to any type of file - not just Excel)
- click on the Bookmark button on the right
- this will pop up another window which contains a list of sheets in the workbook you selected
- select the sheet you want
- at the top select the cell you want (Excel assumed A1) and press OKAY
- If you want the linking cell in the original workbook to say something descriptive e.g. "Click here to open xxxx.xls" then type that onto the "Text to Display" field at the top.
If after you've set up the link you want to change something then right click on the cell and select edit hyperlink