The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Excel 2007 number formatting

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by haykmar
  • Latest reply from haykmar
  • Topic Viewed 2354 times

haykmar

I have tried to change a number from 12,345678 to 12.345678 and the result was that Excel converted the number to 12.345.678. Help me please and tell me how to simply change the comma with a dot without groupping automatically the number to thousands. Thank you!

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg
moreeg

Hi
It looks like your system default decimal is a comma (,) and thousand separator is a period (.)

You'll need to go to Control Panel/Region and Language/ Additional Settings in the Format tab and change the Decimal symbol to a period (.) and the digit Grouping to a comma (,). Then in Excel set the format as General

Posted 1 year ago

haykmar

Thank you for the fast reply, I will try that and I hope that will work.

Posted 1 year ago

haykmar

I tried and now I have this situation: on my PC it's ok, every number is with dots, but I sent the Excel sheet to other country and there when opened every dot is turned to comma. I must say that I use Excel 2007 and on the other computer is Excel 2010. I do not know what to do anymore. A little help will be appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg
moreeg

try this....
go to Advanced and uncheck Use System Separators and then put in the separators you want. This should be retained no matter what computer is used.

Posted 1 year ago

haykmar

Thanks. I'll try that too.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!