Excel 2007 How to make a button that calls data

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cas34
  • Latest reply from cas34
  • Topic Viewed 641 times

cas34
cas34

Hi,

I would like to create 6 buttons on one page and assign each one a task. The task I would like them to perform is to display a table which can be found in another excel page. Here is what I mean:

Page 1 - this page has the 6 buttons and will display 1-6 tables, depending on which button is pushed
Page 2 - this page contains a table that will be called when you push button 1
Page 3 - this page contains a table that will be called when you push button 2
Page 4 - this page contains a table that will be called when you push button 3
Page 5 - this page contains a table that will be called when you push button 4
Page 6 - this page contains a table that will be called when you push button 5
Page 7 - this page contains a table that will be called when you push button 6

I should also add that I would like the user to be able to interact with the tables once they are called. Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg
moreeg

There are 2 ways to do this (maybe more). You can create hyperlinks to the target page or you can create macros. The Macro option will give you the "buttons" I believe you are imagining but, of course, it is a more difficult process to set up and will complicate the maintenance of your workbook.

I'll stat with the hyperlink option and if you really want to go with the macro option we'll tackle that later.

On your button page type into a cell the description of where it will take you
with that cell selected click on Insert/Hyperlink
A pop up will appear with several options on the left. Make sure that "Place in this document" is selected
In the main body of the pop-up you'll see a list of options. under the heading "Cell Reference" you will see a list of you tabs or worksheets. Select the appropriate one.
At the top of the pop-up you'll see a box for the cell reference which is pre-filled with A1. You can change this if the table you are linking to is elsewhere.
Click okay and you should have the link all set up.
If you want to change anything for that link right click on the cell and select "Edit Hyperlink" and you'll get the pop-up back

With a bit of formatting you can get it to look like this

Let me know if you want to go the macro route and if you do let me know what experience you've had with them.

Posted 1 year ago

cas34
cas34

Thanks for the help Moreeg, I am currently doing some work with the macros and will let you know if I get stuck. :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!