The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Everythings dissappeared!

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Char1613
  • Latest reply from Ram3L
  • Topic Viewed 1610 times

Char1613

I log on to my computer and my wallpaper will be on screen but nothing else. There is no start menu and no icons. I press alt+Ctrl+shift and it tells me the task manager has been disabled by the computer administrator. I then try to log on with the computer administrator and it is the same as the other account, nothing is there. The screensaver still comes on but that is about it. I tried loading in safe mode but it is the same. Everything has completly gone and all I can look at is my wallpaper. Can you help?

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Sounds like you have a virus. Unless you are an experiened computer user, you could try botting into Safe Mode by pressing F8 as your computer boots, and run a virus scanner from there? If all else fails, reinstall.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Teufel
Teufel

Definitely a virus ... if you are unable to boot into the safe mode, try giving Ctrl+Alt+Del and then go to the task manager and run a new task from the file menu to run a scan of your computer.

Task manager --> File --> New Task --> Browse to the path of your AV folder and run the AV app.

You may need to update the virus defs on your system first, again which you can do from the task manager by first downloading them on some other system and copying them to your comp in a pen drive and following the above mentioned step.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Don't forget to disable system restore.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

But if he can't boot into safe mode, how can he access Task Manager? He says it's been disabled.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Teufel
Teufel

Thanks Michael, I think I missed that one ... :-). He will need to login to the computer using an administrator account.

Posted 6 years ago

Ram3L

Reinstall Windows I Guess :\ Or System Restore Before This Happend.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.