How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Everything I Ping Times Out

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gregoryshock125
  • Latest reply from gregoryshock125
  • Topic Viewed 405 times

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I am currently on a website that has a chatroom that I can not get it. It seems that it just times out. One of the Administrators is asking me to Ping a few things. I opened up the command line and pinged what He asked me to ping. Everything timed out. I decided to do some more pinging on my own. I decided to ping youtube.com and google.com. What I don't understand is, I can go to these websites just fine. However If I ping them, everything times out. Why?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Try;
Open command prompt as administrator and type the following;

ipconfig /flushdns

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Sorry Mike that didn't help. The administrator thinks I need to change my configuration in my firewalls. As far as I know I am only using the Windows 7 Firewall, and My modem/router has a firewall. But I have never had to adjust these settings for merely getting into a chatroom before.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I found out it is the firewall in my router/modem.

"The chat is more than just text, it has video and audio too, those need a special type of protocol and therefore a different socket, although this protocol is common, it is not usually allowed by firewalls, especially if the firewall settings are high. If you add the exception, it will work. You can test it out by disabling your firewalls and run the pings again, they should go through."

My problem with adding in the exceptions is the mere fact that the built in firewall is too complicated for someone that doesn't know what He is doing.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Good you found the solution.
A useful ping test BTW is; http://www.pingtest.net/ (from http://www.speedtest.net/ )

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Why does a firewall get in the way of pinging?

I want to take another look at my firewall to see if any exceptions can be added. I will post some screen shots.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I never thought I would want have to alter a firewall to merely get into a silly chatroom.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.