How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

[Solved] Evaluation Copy Win 7 Build 7100

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Devastation
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2778 times

Devastation
Devastation

How do I get rid of the wording that is permanently on my desktop?

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Devastation,

Welcome to HTG.
Can you post a screenshot so we can see what you mean?

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Devastation, hello. You cannot get rid of the version number in Windows 7 RC. It is a Release Candidate and they don't want you to forget it.

The display of the Windows version on the desktop is normally controlled by a group policy and/or registry key, but in non-release builds it is on always. For example, I get this in Windows 7 RC on my system:

C:\>reg query "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v PaintDesktopVersion

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
PaintDesktopVersion REG_DWORD 0x0

A value of 0x0 means "don't paint the version number", but it is still displayed in the RC.

Posted 4 years ago

Devastation
Devastation

Issue Resolved...

Thank you very mush my great friends from HTG.

You know... even though my version was downloaded leagally from Microsoft this "function" still makes me feel like i'm using pirated or hacked software...

Tx ScottW

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Ha! That's funny, but I'm reasonably certain the build number is not displayed to make you feel "dirty" for using it. :-)

It is primarily a support issue. Microsoft doesn't want to be bogged down with support calls from people who are running a pre-release copy and thinking they have the final version. Forcing the build number to always display allows the support people to immediately see it if they remote into a customer's desktop. Checking for this build number could also be added to a list of troubleshooting steps or "things to do before you call Support".

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!