The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Ethernet Port on Laptop won't work!

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by YT
  • Latest reply from misdaroc
  • Topic Viewed 13804 times

YT

I started noticing the problem this past spring but since going back to school I plugged in my laptop and plugged my ethernet cord into the appropriate and only ethernet port there is on my laptop, I have an HP and it's 4 years-old. But sometimes and most often it says "Local connection unplugged" when it's not. So I clicked on 'start, all connections, and I looked at my options and where it usually is connected there's a red x throught it' even though the internet cord is plugged into my laptop and the wall ethernet jack. I know it's my laptop because I tried two different ethernet cords and two different ethernet jacks. Any opinions on what it could be? I'm thinking about buying a new laptop since I rarely can use the internet now and it makes a weird sound like it's loading but its a constant loud humming noise. I don't want to shell out money to fix it when I can probably get a few hundred bucks out of it, it runs fast when the internet is working. It was a customized laptop for about $1500, I got it as a gift when I started college and I don't have alot of software on it because I mainly use it for school work, internet, and sometimes go to yahoo games but after I'm done playing them I uninstall all their components.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hi YT. Have you tried a different cable?

Posted 5 years ago

YT

"I know it's my laptop because I tried two different ethernet cords and two different ethernet jacks. Any opinions on what it could be?"

Yes, I already stated in o.p. that I have tried two different cables and neither will work, so I'm leaving towards my computer going to hell.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

YT, it could be a problem with the NIC in the laptop. Does it show up in Device Manager without warnings or errors? Have you tried updating the device driver for the NIC? Also, some drivers have a diagnostic that will test the NIC itself. Another thing to try.

If it looks like the NIC is dead, you could try to keep the system alive by adding a new NIC in an expansion slot, if available. See if there is a PCMCIA or SDIO slot and what it costs for a network card. Probably much cheaper than a new laptop!

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

And it is also possible to get a USB-Ethernet adaptor (quite cheap).

Posted 5 years ago

misdaroc
misdaroc

I had the same problem.I was told my ethernet card wasn't working and to buy a new one.I used the usb port instead.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.