Error, Windows XP AHCI drivers weirdly half-working

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by enobil
  • Latest reply from enobil
  • Topic Viewed 599 times

enobil

Hi!
This is my first topic :D

I'm trying to install XP (x86) on a HP Compaq CQ62 using USB (with WinToFlash). It has ahci mode on and doesn't have the option in BIOS. So I decided to add ahci drivers (for windows xp) using nlite to installation disc (which has SP3 already). It partially worked. I was able to select the sata hard drive, partition it, start installation on that drive, BUT after the first reboot, Windows says:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

I can also enter F8 menu (don't know what it is called btw), but all options give the same error.
I failed to find any information because everybody asks for "windows xp setup doesn't detect hard drive", but mine does, but after the very first restart the error occurs.
I tried removing or inserting flash drive (which I used to install from).
I can't understand what is wrong because the installation doesn't give any error until restarting the computer.
One thing I remember is, the disc already has the sata drivers before I add ahci drivers. Maybe I must use a disc with no sata add-on.
I need to use xp x86 to run some old education software.
(I guess if I try to install xp x64 or W7 x86 even successfully, I may get same compatibility issues (as in W7 x64) with that software, so I want to install xp x86)

Thanks so much for any help

Engin Oruc Ozturk, from Turkey

I'm going to use a disc with no sata drivers (to use in nlite) now

Posted 1 year ago

enobil

P.S: (sorry I'm unable to edit the topic, don't know why) I just have added drivers to a disc (has SP3 too) which doesn't have sata drivers already, and nothing changed. I add the drivers, start installation, after restart, same error. And I tried it without adding drivers, it couldn't detect hard drive to install, so I'm sure that disc doesn't have the drivers already.

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

Welcome to HTG enobil.
You have 30 minutes to edit a topic,
stick around, I'm sure someone will address your query.

Posted 1 year ago

enobil

I'm now using Windows 7 x86 after trying at least 10 times of XP installation trial. It works fine with the old software. I no longer exactly need the info (about installing XP in this situation), but it will be fine to learn something I couldn't consider if someone talks about. Thanks for reading

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.