The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Error message

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Karen222vt
  • Latest reply from oliverpowell
  • Topic Viewed 391 times

Karen222vt

I went to my start menu and unchecked the programs I did npt want to load on start up. Like AOL, speed up my pc, driver. But when I went to click on apply I received this message. "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes." Then when I clicked on ok it gave me the same error message. How do I get these off the start up menu? I am the only person using the computer and I am marked as the Administrator . And ideas? Thank you. Karen

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi Karen222vt ,

Welcome to HTG ,

You cannot uncheck programs from starting up in the start menu you have to enter a system utilities screen.

What do you not want on start up ?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Assuming you meant you were using msconfig in the startup tab ...

Start in Safe Mode and sign in to that actual Administrator account, the one named Administrator. Do your changes and reboot.

Boot to Safe Mode
When you boot up before it starts Windows and after the initial BIOS checks, hit the F8 key several times. The start of Windows is usually accompanied by a single Beep. If normal Windows comes up try, try again. A Black screen with choices should come up, choose Safe Mode.

Alternative: Try using CCleaner, tools section, to do the job.

Posted 2 years ago

oliverpowell
oliverpowell

It's look like you didn't run this service as an administrator. In order to disable certain services, you should run this program as an administrator. Simply restore your PC a day before when you had done this.

Hope this might helps!!

Thanks
Oliver

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!