The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Error: blank discs are write protected, can't write to empty disc

(25 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by pisces14850
  • Latest reply from pisces14850
  • Topic Viewed 4202 times

vistamike

I and other members have tested this software in the past and found it to be quite useless and has the potential to cause more problems.

Our experience shows that anything suggesting 'advanced system care' is going to be suspect. In the case of iobit, the registry cleaner, does just that, cleans and takes out what it really should not.

For general cleaning, you will never go wrong with this the free version; http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

'without being overly techie!'

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

pisces14850

ok..thanks for the advice. Maybe the iobit program is the culprit, without me knowing it? I will uninstall and use the suggested program. what would your suggestion be for anti-virus/malware checking and preventing? and should i use the Windows defrag or is something else more highly rated?

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

If you ever get W7 the built in defragger is fine but for Vista and before Defraggler is a better utility than the built in one.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

I 2nd defraggler, and for an A/V,
http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....ssentials/

Posted 2 years ago

pisces14850

Problem solved (but still wondering why CD/DVD wouldn't write). Followed advice given previously on this post. PC all cleaned up with CCleaner, backed up with Macrium, any issues resolved with Tweaking, and protected with Microsoft Security Essentials. Removed all trace of iOBit software. Also using Malwarebytes AntiMalware as well as SuperANtiSpyware (I had been using these previously). Some redundancy perhaps, but overlap is better than gaps, right?
Next step - since I really didn't want to wipe my PC and reinstall everything, even with a backup image, I opted to replace one of the DVD/CD drives. This not only provided me with one good one, but the 2nd original DVD/CD drive is now behaving as it did before (meaning I can read and write with it again). Could one bad drive cause the 2nd one to 'fail'? And if so, it was just a 50/50 chance that I replaced the culprit - i merely removed the top one, there was no logic to the decision. I just figured I'd end up with only one good one anyway (the new one). So.....who's answer should be accepted for the resolution??
Again, thanks again for everyone's help. Very glad to have stumbled upon this site - everyone is great!!

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.