The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Error: blank discs are write protected, can't write to empty disc

(25 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by pisces14850
  • Latest reply from pisces14850
  • Topic Viewed 4202 times

pisces14850

This seems to happen only with R/W DVDs. I cannot format the disc because my computer keeps telling me that my blank discs are write protected. These are brand new, and can be read on another PC. I've even reformatted and when I look at Properties for the disc, it says all 4.38GB is used, with 0 available space. I have checked in the device manager, and it says that the drive is working properly and the driver is up to date. I have tried several different discs.

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99

are you trying to format it using windows tool?
Try to use a software like Nero or ImageBurn or PowerISO.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

It could be that you have 'write' problem.

Delete the drive in device manager, then reboot. The drive should now refresh with new driver

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Is your burner a DVD burner or a Cd burner? Some burners are for burning CD's but will open or play a DVD.

Posted 2 years ago

pisces14850

I have two burners, both are DVD/CD-ROM drives. I will attempt to resolve as a 'write' problem, delete the drive in device manager and then reboot. I'll post after. Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

If they are DVD/CD-ROM's then they are "Read Only Drives". That's what "ROM" stands for.
Can you go into your device mgr and list your drive models?

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99

can your expand your Optical Drives in Device Manager and post us a snapshot here???

Posted 1 year ago

pisces14850

they are not supposed to be ROM! I've written to discs using both drives in the past. what could have altered this? btw, the delete and reboot did not solve problem. i have a screen shot, how do i paste it to a post?

Posted 1 year ago

Santo

Try the Microsoft Fixit.

To post images in your post follow the steps given here.

Posted 1 year ago

pisces14850

screen shot device manager

Posted 1 year ago

pisces14850

sorry about the confusion with the DVD/CD devices. I indicated that they were DVD/CD-ROM devices, this is the folder name under Device Manager. This is what they are (in case you cannot enlarge the screen shot sufficiently):
#1 is Sony CDRWDVD CRX310S
#2 is TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A

I am running Win Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS 410

As I've stated previously, these have worked in the past, both reading and writing to all kinds of discs (Read Only, Write once, RW multiples) The only kind it won't read would be BD.
I believe, but cannot state unequivocally, that this started after loading ImageBurn program - at least that's when I first noticed I couldn't write to my DVD (got the 'write-protected' error).

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

From previous problems like yours I found the burning engine (part of the software) is corrupt. You may need to uninstall then reinstall your burning software.
What software are you using before you loaded imageburn?

Posted 1 year ago

pisces14850

just using the program that came with Windows...

Posted 1 year ago

Santo

Have you tried to run the Microsoft Fixit tool?
This will help to isolate the issue from hardware and software.

Posted 1 year ago

pisces14850

I've run Fixit twice, same results. When asked for a disc, after putting one in that I know can be read and written to (verified and tested on another PC running same version of Windows, etc) it says it cannot write to disc, it's write-protected.
Do you think doing a complete re-install of Windows would solve anything? If I do this, and have a complete back-up of my system for a restore, anything I need to be aware of, or steps I should be certain to take?
Can the write feature on a burner go 'bad'?

Posted 1 year ago

pisces14850

Other questions - if i decide to wipe my pc and reinstall, and i use a program such as Macrium Reflect to back up/create a mirror, what is the procedure for restoring? Will this create a backup of all the programs I've loaded, or will all of those have to be reloaded? I've never done this before. I mean I've had crashes (not with Win Vista however) and ended up having to reinstall Windows, but never really worried about settings, etc. This time, however, I'd like to do it properly, efficiently, with minimum data and/or settings loss. Would it make more sense to replace at least one of the burners instead? Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

If you do a complete backup image it creates an exact duplicate of your current "C" drive with all your programs, data and whatever else you have on your drive. You have to burn a recovery disk. This is important when you go to recover your image. You will boot off this recovery disk.

Posted 1 year ago

pisces14850

ok, so I've created an image using Macrium Reflect. Next I need to create a recovery disk, or can I recover with the original Windows install CD? Question about the image file I've created - if there are any corrupted files (that aren't discovered/fixed using a program such as iobit Advanced Systemcare) currently residing on my PC, wouldn't they just be reinstalled?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Interject;

Please do not use software such as iobit Advanced Systemcare, it and others cause more problems for your system.
I would recommend an uninstall.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

pisces14850

Mike,
I have been using the iobit for a few years now, with no problems (the paid version). Do you have specific info regarding problems with this app? What would you suggest as an alternate program? Any feedback to my previous post from today? Thanks for the advice.....this site seems to have the best that I have found, without being overly techie!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.