The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Error 400 in MS Excel 2007

(15 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by karteekkarteek001
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 13230 times

karteekkarteek001

I have installed an Add-In from www.download.com for MS Excel with the name 'Simple Excel Shortcuts'. The installation file has an .xla file as add-in.

I installed the same. But when I open the MS Excel and clicking on the 'Data' tab immediately an error message with 'Microsoft Visual Basic' with a white 'X' symbol inside a red circle showing error number 400 with two options below 'OK' and 'Cancel'. If I click on 'OK' the dialog box is being closed and no problem further.

If I close Excel and re-open it again same thing is occurring.

I tried for the system restore option, but it was not having any restore point before this add-on was installed. I tried to repair Office but it came that it can't be repaired.

After that I tried to uninstall the whole Microsoft Office 2007 and reinstall it. But after so much time of displaying that boring MS logo, it was giving a dialog box with 'Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 could not be unistalled due to some system errors. Please try again later.'

How can I get rid of this annoying 400 error. Please help me friends... :-(

P.S. I got a great lesson that never try any Add-on if you are not sure about how is it going to mess you up or how can you get rid of that mess if it messes you!

Posted 6 years ago

karteekkarteek001

To make the discussion specific to the point, I would like to give the exact phrases that were appearing on the uninstllation screen.

They were 'Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 did not uninstall successfully'.

Only this one line was being displayed with a 'OK' button.

K

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

This is strange. There should be a restore point from just before you downloaded the Add-in (or was that a long time ago?). Do the following: Go to All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > right click on Command Prompt > Run as Administrator => into the little black window type: VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWS. That should show you all the restore points (shadows) you have - they are dated. Maybe there is one you could use.

Posted 6 years ago

karteekkarteek001

how can i use them form command prompt...

i mean how can i run the same form GUI..

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Is there a problem doing it as explained?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Sounds like someone made a bad call from within the vba procedure. You should be able to shut down Excel and just delete the xla. If not, next time you are in Excel, open up the vba editor and just put a ' in front of each line of code associated with the xla and that will keep any of the code from running.

Posted 6 years ago

karteekkarteek001

@ Budo.. As soon as I found the error immediately I deleted the .xla file and it's corresponding folder. Still it is coming.
I have opened the VBA editor but there it is showing nothing I mean no code or that sort of thing. It is blank.

@ whs... I restored to the very very long dated System Restore point. All my softwares were gone of course I can reinstall them. But the problem still persists. :-(

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

So the problem is older than the Add-in you downloaded?

Just one tip for installing programs. When you download a program and the little download window comes up, do NOT hit "Run" but hit "Save" and save it in your Downloads. Then make a folder with a meaningful name for this program in Downloads(because very often they have those unrecognizable xyz names), move the downloaded program into this folder and then double click on it for installation. Next time you have to reset or reinstall your system, you have all your downloaded programs neatly lined up in your Downloads folder and do not have to go search for them. (in case of a reinstall, of course, you need to recover your Downloads folder first from your backups).

Posted 6 years ago

karteekkarteek001

@ whs.. you have explained very patiently and clearly. But the thing I used do the same. I never directly run it and I save it first on my hard disk, later I install it. Any way thank you for clear explanation. But can you please suggst me how to uninstall that add-in and get rid of that 400 error. You know whs it is really bothering when you see an error baloon!! :-(

Friends, please post if you have any ideas...

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I am still wondering whether the error was triggered by the Add-in or by something else. As you said that you did a restore to "way back" in time, I assumed that this was from before you even downloaded the add-in. So I am a little lost as to the cause of your problem.

Posted 6 years ago

karteekkarteek001

@ whs... the error was coming immediately after installing the Add-in. And the add-in is not visible, as I searched for it in the Excel> Options > Add-Ins. There I found only the in-bulit add-ins but not this one. I tried to uninstall MS Office but it is showing unsuccessful. I am really got vexed with this. It is neither getting uninstalled not showing the installed add-in. How to remove this is only my concern. Please don't suggest Formatting!!

K

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No formatting.
Try a disk wide search (everywhere, non-indexed). If you know the date, and the (approximate) time that you installed it, put that into your search criteria.

Posted 6 years ago

karteekkarteek001

@ Lighthouse.. I did what you said Lghthouse... But got nothing!

Is there any way to uninstall that MS Office 2007 as it is not getting uninstalled at all...

K

Posted 6 years ago

karteekkarteek001

@ Lighthouse... I came with a new problem with the mentioned earlier. I successfully uninstalled MS Office 2007 today and reinstalled again. And checked whether Excel is giving the same error or not. But strangely it is not showing anything. I have noticed one remarkable thing. That is.. at the first beginning of the application it has shown a dialog box mention.. 'Excel could not find this Add-in installed. If you want to install click OK otherwise click Cancel'. Please note that in this dialog box there was no name mentioned for the Add-in which the dialog box said about. It just said 'this add-in', no name mentioned!

I clicked on cancel afraid of that the previous error might occur. So then everything is fine. If I close the application and restart it, again the same dialog box comes. I verified the Excel > Options > Add-ins... in that the Solver Add-in was checked. If I uncheck the that no dialog box comes. If I check that Solver Add-In and click on the data tab.. the previous error 400 was coming.

I understood that the add-in which I installed in the very beginning got some accordance with this Solver Add-In...

Any ideas now...

K

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Office or Excel, so can offer no advice.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.