SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Enter key won't work on laptop. Any alternatives?

(11 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by SharaLynn
  • Latest reply from UVAND
  • Topic Viewed 12767 times

SharaLynn

Hey! I have an old crappy lappy (gateway 7320) that really isn't worth spending much money on to replace parts. I let my 6mo baby use it to watch Baby Einstein, and she threw up on the keyboard. I didn't notice immediately, so I guess it soaked in a bit. No problems until I turned it off, since double click generally works instead of enter on everything that I use on it. However, when I tried starting it, I can't get Windows to load because the enter key won't work.
For the last year or so, it's said ''hit F1 to setup" and when you do, it takes you to BIOS where you have to hit escape and then enter. Since I can't use the enter key, windows won't load :-P I've tried cleaning under the key with distilled alcohol and a q tip, I've left it to dry for nearly a month, but it is still not working.
First of all, is there any key combination that the computer recognizes as enter? (this has nothing to do with windows, just the machine). Or do you have any other ideas on how to make the key work? As I said, it's almost 6 years old, so I don't really think it's worth buying expensive parts to replace the whole keyboard, but it would be nice for her to have it back for her videos.
Thanks!

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky

Start > Run > Type: osk > Press: OK. This should bring up the onscreen keyboard.

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

UVAND

Hi,
I have a similar problem too. In my own case, the keyboard of my Compaq presario V4000 could sometime respond at boot up but few second while trying type passcode to join a wireless network, any key pressed on the pad triggers "shut down window". I have been on this for so long. Every assistanve will be appreciated. Thanks

Posted 3 years ago

LH

Try giving a good burst of compressed air under the keys.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x

You might want to give another shot of isopropyl alcohol then use the compressed air.
If all else fails you can pick up a used one at a computer shop for about $5.00 USD

Posted 3 years ago

LH

UVAND hi. Please start a New Topic with your problem.

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky

You could also remap that key with Sharpkeys:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/T.....Keys.shtml

One key you could change to Enter is the Caps Lock key which is a nuisance anyway. Install and open the app > Click: Add > In the left pane find/select the 'Caps Lock' (or key of your choice) entry and in the right pane select the 'Enter' entry > Click on Write To Registry button > Reboot

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

SharaLynn

Tony, I wish I had read that before I shut the computer off the last time! I'll probably try to clean it again for now and run a price check on a new keyboard.
Quick question though, would a USB keyboard be detected as soon as the computer was turned on so I could use the enter key to get past bios?
Thanks!

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky

I can't answer that one... I don't know. Get a positive answer before you go and buy one though.

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

LH

SharaLynn, yes. It should be ok. But borrow one to try out.

Posted 3 years ago

UVAND

Thanks everyone for your effort resolving this problem. I had tried all the suggestions but still with this problem. I'll still be looking forward for your help in case you come up with something new.

However, I'll be opening a new topic on this as advised by LH; to help concentrate on the specific problem

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.