The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Emulating a Wireless network in Windows 7

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by JRoyBin
  • Latest reply from JRoyBin
  • Topic Viewed 907 times

JRoyBin

Hi there, I'm stuck trying to emulate a virtual wireless network inside Windows 7

For example, I basically want to run a fake Wireless network that software can connect to and use to access the internet.

Here's a little diagram to make it simpler to explain:

If it's too complicated to understand that diagram then sorry, it looks easy to me xD

If you need any more info then please ask :)

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi JRoyBin, welcome to HTG. What are you using to emulate the wireless network and are you trying to tunnel? I don´t quite understand the diagram, lol. Matt

Posted 4 years ago

JRoyBin

Yeah sorry, I should have made it easier to understand.

Here's the situation.

I don't have anything to emulate the network, I should have mentioned, my bad.
Tunneling, sort of you could say, basically I want to set up a network within my desktop so that if I opened up a program that would usually connect to a wireless network using a wireless network card, instead it would say, use a virtual network card driver and search for wireless networks broadcasted INSIDE the desktop, get what I'm saying?

Here's how my head sees it:

A PC broadcasting a virtual signal that is listed when the program wishes to connect to a wireless network.
The program would list a card to use and I'd pick the virutal network card and that would allow it to find the virtual wireless network.

Sorry, I'm extremely bad at explaining things, but do you understand now? sorry lol.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

I´m not quite sure if that´s at all possible without a VM, let me have a think about this one and get back to you. Matt

Posted 4 years ago

JRoyBin

Alrighty, sorry I'm being a bit confusing lol.
Thanks for the support though ^^

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

JRoyBin, you will need a VM running such as Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (freeware) updated to SP1 then you will have to install a virtual wireless adapter explained here. Also needed is a virtual wireless network which also could be configured in Virtual PC 2007. Matt

Posted 4 years ago

JRoyBin

I see, okay then, appreciate the help, thank you very much ^^

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!