The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Emailing video files?

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by dGeek
  • Latest reply from Antman
  • Topic Viewed 2681 times

dGeek

This question is kind of misplaced because it is at a majorly sub-geek level, but
I came across the forum and need help from someone smarter on basic usage.
{Please suggest a more appropriate place to post this and similar questions!}

I need to insert DVD's into my laptop, make a video file while it plays, save it,
then have it in a format that can be attached to an email and played back as video
by the recipient.

Windows media doesn't seem to do this, or I can't figure it out if it does.
If I need special software or converters, what are the best, most versatile,
and cheapest? (or free??) Where to download?

I mostly have to send around 10-15 minutes of broadcast quality video at a pop,
not entire movies. What can I do? Thanks everyone for you assistance.
How would I add special code in 'backticks'. Where is the 'backtick' keystroke?
What is the best site to get up to speed on geek speak, starting obviously
with geek 101?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Welcome d. I can't quite see your problem. You copy the DVD as an image (or whatever) and email it.

Posted 6 years ago

dGeek

Well, I do have this problem. I can play a DVD, but cannot copy or save the video content as a computer file.
If this is simple, please explain it step by step. There is no 'Copy' function, and no "temporary file" pops up.
Media player will rip an existing video already downloaded, but I want to do the opposite: Play a pre-recorded DVD on the laptop, and make a temportary file copy that can be saved with a name. Then I can browse to it from my email carrier, attach and send it. Hopefully in a format that the average user will then be able to download and play as well.

It is getting it from the actual DVD disk into the computer as a saved file that is my problem.
I have talked to 5 people, all of whom say it is easy, or should be easy, but none of whom can
actually explain how it is done. I agree it sounds like a very basic thing, but I cannot get
video played from a DVD to become a stored computer file.

Posted 6 years ago

Antman
Antman

Ripping DVDs is easy.

This page should tell you everything you need to know about it:

http://elliottback.com/wp/arch.....-tutorial/

The default file format is a .vob file, which contains the uncompressed data. This can be played back in most media players (VLC for sure). The file sizes are huge for uncompressed DVD rips, but if you want to keep the original quaility that is how it must be. The tutorial also explains how to convert the video to xvid or divx, which are popular compression codecs for video files, which would reduce the file size considerably, but you will lose some picture quality.

Also, with DVD Decrypter (the ripping software) you can choose which parts of the DVD program chain you want to rip, so you can isolate chapters and such if you don't want to rip the whole DVD.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Do read what Antman posted.
Also. If you right click on the drive (with The DVD in), is there not an option that says "Create Image from CD"?

Posted 6 years ago

Antman
Antman

You can rip a disk image with DVD Decrypter also, with the added bonus that it removes any copy protection or region coding.

Oh and I didn't mean to say the data you get in .vob files is uncompressed. DVD video uses mpeg2 compression.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!