The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Email hacked

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bassglo
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 678 times

bassglo

I'm running Vista, using Windows Mail, and my email has been hacked. Spam is being sent to my contacts, including very old ones that are not even in my contact list anymore. There is no way to put a password on email that I can see, so how do I stop this? And by the way, I do have Norton running, and have done complete system scans, but it doesn't seem to find anything.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Your email has not been hacked. Those addresses as well as yours have been harvested by other means. This usually happens when you and/or your friends forward emails leaving long lists of email addresses in them by not using Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) instead of CC or the "To" line.

Like the common cold if you take action it will be over in about a week, If you do nothing it will go away in about 7 days.

To change your password, however, contact your ISP or email provider for insutrctions. If you have a web based email instructions ae usually available in their help/options section. Or just google "How do I change my email password in xxx.com. You will find answers. or tell us your email domain, the part after the @ sign and we will help.

Posted 1 year ago

bassglo

I always delete all of the email addresses before I forward something, but I certainly don't have control over how it comes to me. I am using ATT (att.net). I cannot find a password option on windows mail. Do I need to go to the ATT site and put a password on?

As for it being over, that's not happening. This keeps on occuring, and my current contacts are getting peeved about it.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Nothing really you can do about it, but assure them it is not from you. Once they've got it they've got it. Since some of them were old addresses that are no longer in your address book it is obvious they did not get it from you.

As far as the password goes, go on ATT.net web interface. Click on Mail in upper right. Then at the signin window either sign in and find a way to change your password there. Or click on "Forgot my password" and follow instructions there to reset it. If not simply call their support, they will help you. You can not do it through a third party e-mail client.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!