The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Emachine Password inaccessable

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by passiveson
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 10475 times

passiveson

I have an Emachine I loaned to a friend. While he had it someone tampered with the logon screen and wiped all users (including me, as administrator) from the screen. Now only the jerk who fiddled with it can logon and he won't correct it. I don't have a recovery disk and need to know how I can start up windows without a password and correct the problem.

Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

On the login screen just press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice and the classic login screen will appear where you can type any user name and password (if one was set).
Once you login you can check out the article at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....indows-xp/
Besides listing how to remove accounts from the login screen, it lists how to undo that also.

Posted 6 years ago

passiveson

jd2066, Thanks for the info, I read the article and it is helpful.
When the classic logon screen comes up I entered my name and password but received a message that windows didn't find the name and password valid. I get the same message for the other users I set up on the computer.
Initially only three people were allowed access on the computer, Me as administrator and two limited users. Now none are accessible using screen names and passwords.

On boot, the classic logon screen comes up with a name of the guy who tampered with the computer. Somehow he deleted me and the other accounts, leaving himself as the only one able to logon.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Try this:
When the computer boots up keep pressing F8 until a menu appears.
Select Safe Mode.
On the login screen the account named "Administrator" should appear.
Assuming this person didn't delete the account or put a password on it you should be able to login with it and do what I listed above.
Though sense logging in on the Classic Login Screen didn't work, the person might have deleted your accounts and you would need to recreate them.
Hopefully the person didn't delete your documents on the computer.

Should you not be able to login with the account "Administrator" then you can burn a boot disc to reset it's password. I'll post a link on that if need be.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.