How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Edit Embedded Excel in Protected Word Document

(3 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Kymmy
  • Latest reply from Kymmy
  • Topic Viewed 778 times

Kymmy

Hi Guys

I am wondering if it is possible to have a protected document where you can still edit (change/add figures etc) to an embedded excel object. I am creating a form (template) with fields and tick boxes (in design mode), and for the tick boxes to work, the document must be protected. The people that shall be using the form will be meeting with clients and tabbing between the fields to enter answers to questions, as well as selecting tick boxes and they also need to take financial information, which I thought would be best in an excel object as figures can be added automatically.

I am using Office 2010.

When I protect the document, you are not able to edit the excel spreadsheet. I have selected the cells in the spreadsheet and under Format Cells - Protection - unticked the Locked box, but this has not worked. When protecting the document I have chosen Filling in forms. It is imperative that users are able to tab to each field.

Any help would be very much appreciated! If an embedded excel object is not the answer, do you have any other suggestions?

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

Could you do the whole thing on an Excel spreadsheet? - just enter text as if it was a Word document then lock/unlock the cells as appropriate. Not very elegant, but as long as you haven't got massive amounts of text it is probably the easiest option.

Posted 2 years ago

Kymmy

Thank you oldgeezer - I hadn't considered that. I shall give it a try. I'm guessing it's not possible to do in Word then?

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.