How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Easy, FUNNY C++ programming books?

(56 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by chustar
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 4449 times

whs
whs

Hey Pipo, COBOL is younger than me, does that make me very, very, very + very old?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@whs. Weren't you friends with the guy that invented the abacus?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Lighthouse, I think they were from another culture. They used wedge writing too.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

whs, I thought it was you. Being so well traveled

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I wish I could travel in time.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

If I could travel back in time I'd give a few friend's parents a pamphlet on contraception.

-Dilbert

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

http://lifehacker.com/375789/b.....e-to-learn

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

@whs
maybe just very, very, very "-" very old

if i could travel in time, i'd register earlier in the HTG forums, lol.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Scott, this lifehacker link is awsome. There is very little anybody could add. I gathered Python, Java and C++ as favorites (in order of complexity - Python being the easiest). As an old Assembler, Cobol, Fortran programmer, I vote for C++. But that may not be a good choice for everybody. It was also pointed out, as I said earlier, important is logic and structure. And that is independent of the language. Maybe one is more forgiving than another, but sloppiness will catch up with you one way or another.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

so what i got from the link is that c++ is both very bad and very good so what is that supposed to tell me? and python isn't that a more linux based script

Posted 6 years ago

chustar
chustar

@jack7h3r1pp3r:
No, python is a full language. I leared [or tried to learn] it on windows. Note: open-source != linux...
(!= means "not equal to" something i learned in python :) )

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

FYI: != is also used in most programming languages ^_^ and in COBOL sometimes you can write it as "NOT EQUAL" withouth the quotes of course.

btw, i think COBOL is a very easy language to learn, only problem is that you need to be connected to a Mainframe for you to practice and you need to create a JCL to run your program, but aside from those, learning it is quite "easy"

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@whs thx on the pdf you posted i have learned a lot from that i am almost done reading it all

yummmm.... i like to eat me some knowledge

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Jack you are welcome. I am actually reading it myself, but I am not as fast as you.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i actually have it saved on my flash drive so i can read it where ever i am (i also have a compiler on there as well).

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I guess we'll ask you to write the little programs in the future. jd2066 could use some help.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i'll try but i don't know too much yet still a noob

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

It's the attitude that counts. Not the skill level.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i'm working hard at it and i am learning pretty fast and if you wanted me to do something for you i would try to do it the best that i can

what i meant by me being a "noob" is that i only really started when you posted that up and what i knew before was completely different c++ than what this is teaching me

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@whs so how come when you run the exe files they close right when you get the answer so you can't see it?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.