How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Easy, FUNNY C++ programming books?

(56 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by chustar
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 4449 times

chustar
chustar

A little backstory: I learnt a little Java in high school but didn't really like the book we used. It was too dry. Now, I'm trying to learn C++. I would like a book that assumes I'm a beginner with no previous experience (this allows me to think about concepts the C++ way, not the Java way, not sure if this makes sense...) Anyway, I recently stumbled upon the Poignant Guide to Ruby, a hilarious book that doesn't feel like a dry-as-a-mummified-corpse textbook. (But I don't want to learn Ruby so...)
Is there a funny beginners book to C++?
Thanks in advance!

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

C++ For Dummies?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764568523

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

what would be a good programming languge to learn or like the most use or what?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Depends what you want to do. C++ seems to be the most used for normal programming. But if you never wrote a program, you might have to get used to the logic flow of things.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i have alittle c++ under my belt but not really that much like i can program a calculator with one function (maybe alittle more but not much just an ex.)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

so c++ is like the main programming language then

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I think so. Btw: you can edit your posts. See the blue "EDIT" under your posts. No need to have 2 posts within 1 minute.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i guess its just faster to write a new post in the box ya know

umm my internet is really slow so it takes a while for more pages to load that is why it is faster to do it the other way but i will try to do it this way k and i under stand your reasoning so i will try to remember thx for the heads up

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jack, we are not in a race and if the threads get very long, it is difficult for the original poster to follow. And I fail to see why it's faster - same number of letters to type.

Posted 6 years ago

chustar
chustar

Thanks.
I'm taking a C++ class next semester and wanted to learn it before hand.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

If you are approaching the subject as an absolute beginner I'd absolutely recommend the Dummies series of books for any topic. They aren't terribly expensive and will give you a good overview. I own a number of them myself... one of the things I like about them is that they are fairly lighthearted, just like Why's poignant guide. Once you gain a working knowledge, then you'll be able to find books that are more in-depth.

Realistically other languages like Java, C# or even PHP or Ruby/Rails are much more useful for getting a job, depending on what you want to do. All you have to do is take a look at the job boards to see that C++ isn't the hot language anymore.

Posted 6 years ago

chustar
chustar

@The Geek:
Yeah, but I still have to pass it. Plus, I was thinking more along the lines of a CC book or free e-book. After all, buying a book defeats the purpose of learning it before I start taking the class.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

http://developers.slashdot.org.....8;from=rss

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

is there like a really good free web site/page that i could learn some programming language perferably c++ only cuz i know a little bit but could learn a new one too so if any one could help that would be great

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

if you need a, sort of, headstart, you could always try w3schools.com, that was one of our "references" back in college.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jack, this is a good start. It's free and easy. http://www.isotton.com/devel/docs/lcpp/

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i have one more question what is the most common programming language if there is one and if people could post what language they use the most that would help me out too i just want to know because i want to learn the most up to date things

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jack, you are turning around in circles. It really depends what you want (speed, flexibility, portability, ease of use, standardization, etc. - ergo, there is no BEST language). I suggest you start READING. C++ is a good start, but there is a lot more to programming - especially logic. The literature I suggested above is a good start. This link gets you directly to the PDF: http://www.isotton.com/devel/docs/lcpp/lcpp.pdf -- This tutorial is not super funny and no comic, but it is pleasant to read - and it is for free.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i know i am curently working on that one but was kinda just wundering what every one else was using if they know how to program

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

like what whs said, there's more to programming - "especially logic." i suggest you concentrate on logic formulation, once you get that, it's going to be easier to study other languages.

take me for example, back in college, i concentrated on web technologies like classic asp and php. when i started working, i got trained in COBOL programming (a very, very, very old language), i actually learned a few logic tricks from COBOL which i was able to implement on some of the web pages i made.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.