The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

e mail hacking after using support

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shebaben
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 263 times

shebaben

Last week and Monday of this week, I spent a large amount of time online with Dell tech support. The next day, my e mail account had been hacked with odd messages and links sent to all sorts of odd recipients. What are the chances of it having anything to do with my support sessions with the company? (and Dell had superb tech support for me...I hope!!!!!:() I quickly set new passwords and notified my contacts. Thaks.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

It's highly unlikely that it at anything to do the your support sessions with Dell

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I second that about it not being Dell as long as you did CALL them with the real Dell Support number.

Odds are that you opened an e-mail around that time that caused the infection. It will probably continue even after you reset the p/w of your e-mail account too. In that case run some of the many malware checkers, like SpyBot or Malware Anti-byte.

Some web based e-mail servers, like Hotmail or Google Mail are prone to hacking though... it is possible someone did get in, but generally it was an e-mail that was infected that did it.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.