The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - E-mail

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Neal
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 321 times

Neal

how can i send .exe file from gmail,yahoomail,rediffmail...etc?i tried by add it to winrar.but still it shows error for security reason,google cannot send this file.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Neal, most service providers don't allow .exe files even in a zip file. Use Dropbox; http://download.cnet.com/Dropb.....03856.html

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

You can change the extension to .txt, send it, and have the recipient change it back to .exe

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

In the UK, never found that to work anytime! I've tried all extensions

I know google, live, Hotmail and yahoo throw it out if it detects an .exe inside

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

I just tested it here with my GMAIL account before posting.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Gmail Alert

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

You can use 7-Zip (or WinRar), but use the 7Z (or RAR) format instead of ZIP, and encrypt the file with a password. That way GMail won't be able to detect it is an EXE file.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Here is the email as received without error from my gmail account to my earthlink account.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

There is a reason that most email services won't allow attaching .exe files: it's a good way to spread malware. I knew about Xhi's trick of changing the file extension but didn't want to share it since I didn't know the OP's reason for wanting to send a .exe file. This is not to say there aren't good reasons.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Changing it to .txt does not spread malware since someone would have to purposefully change it back to .exe for it to execute. Simply clicking on it brings up notepad.

Looking at the link in vistamike's post http://support.google.com/mail.....nswer=6590 it says among other things that you can get that message for other reasons than invalid file type. It also says, ref ruja's post...

It isn't possible to send a zip file containing a password-protected zip file. Please de-compress all files or remove the password protection if possible.

Posted 1 year ago

Neal

yup.....its working.thanx Xhi. i have also try by adding .exe file as a object in ms-word.then send it as .docx file.file sent successfully.but on recipient side,when i download it then it shows error,file contains malicious program so it was deleted.

Posted 1 year ago

pedxing

have heard of this...?
Yahoo Phishing Email/SPAM issue

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@pedxing, Please start a new topic for you question.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.