The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

DVI Port question.

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jrich7720
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 1324 times

jrich7720

I'm choosing gear for my first build and I plan on including three displays. Through Google, I've found that video cards typically include 1 DVI port and one VGA port, but I'm not seeing how this relates to the case. I'd like to connect all three displays to the pc using DVI ports, I'd rather be prepared in the future/not perpetuate older technology(VGA). I'm assuming any new case I buy would at least include 1 DVI port, and that some kind of interconnect will be ran from the video card's port the the case's port; is this right? If so, am I going to find a case with three DVI ports? I also wanted to throw in an SLI or CrossfireX setup, but I've read that these do not support multiple display setups. If I go that route, will I be able to toggle SLI or CrossfireX on or off in order to utilize all three monitors?

I greatly appreciate any input. Thank you.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Typically your video card is going to fit into a slot, so the case doesn't matter at all since they all have a number of slots that fit all PCI / PCI-X cards. See picture:

If you used an onboard video card on the motherboard, typically the motherboard comes with a standard ATX panel cover that fits the motherboard, as shown in this picture:

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!