The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

DVD reader is not detecting healthy DVDs

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by karteekkarteek001
  • Latest reply from karteekkarteek001
  • Topic Viewed 3602 times

karteekkarteek001

I have Sony VAIO laptop. Model No. is VGN-CR220E. It came with PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K17 ATA Device DVD Reader and Writer.

With this I made more than 150+ DVDs. But recently it is behaving strangely. It is not detecting the DVDs which were created by it using Windows. All are Data discs. After preparing them they were not used at all, means no scratches on them.

They are being detected in my friends laptop and working fine. All the DVDs are my vital data back-up.

Please help me what to do.

Thank you very much for any recommendation.

-K

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

K, what software are you using to write the DVDs? If you don't already have Nero, download Nero InfoTool. This little utility provides information about the optical drives in your system any discs installed in them.

Posted 5 years ago

karteekkarteek001

ScottW, I have been using the inbuilt Windows DVD burn utility to write those DVDs. Whenever I insert a blank DVD/CD an Auto Play dialog box appears which contains various options. I usually click on the 'Create a Data DVD' option and go ahead.

All of my DVDs are working properly before but I don't know why this is happening now... Interestingly CDs are doing well.

Please suggest me, ScottW!

-K

Posted 5 years ago

karteekkarteek001

Dear ScottW,

I checked with Nero Info Tool which you have mentined. Thank you for suggesting a nice tool.

By the way, I am just pasting the information given by the Nero Tool. Could you please check that and tell the problem. I am unable to locate. Please help me.

Nero InfoTool 5.3.3.0

Drive Information
------------------
Drive : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K17
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : 1.00
Buffer Size : 2000 KB
Date : 06-11-20
Serial Number : GHDL429457WL
Vendor Specific : 06/11/20 PIONEER
Drive Letter : H:\
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 24 X
Write Speed : 24 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : Yes
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-R DL : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read HD DVD-ROM : No
Read HD DVD-R : No
Read HD DVD-R DL : No
Read HD DVD-RAM : No
Read HD DVD-RW : No
Read HD DVD-RW DL : No
Read HD-BURN : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : No
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write DVD-RAM : Yes
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Write HD DVD-R : No
Write HD DVD-R DL : No
Write HD DVD-RAM : No
Write HD DVD-RW : No
Write HD DVD-RW DL : No
Write HD-BURN-R : No
Write HD-BURN-RW : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
SolidBurn : No
Labelflash : No
LightScribe : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW DAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 1
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4

CSS : Yes
CPRM : Yes
AACS : No
VCPS : No

-K

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

What happens when you put one of your non-blank data discs in the system? What do you see in Explorer? What does Nero InfoTool say about the disc on the "Disc" tab?

Posted 5 years ago

karteekkarteek001

When I insert my non-blank DVD inside the DVD drive, the cursor is repeatedly toggling form normal Arrow to an Arrow with a Disc.

Later the Windows Explorer address bar is being filled with Green progressive bar (which indicates that the Windows Explorer is trying to explore the Disc inside) and after 1 minute or so, it is ejecting the DVD drive and showing 'Insert Disc' dialog box. Please inset disc into drive H:\'.

And the Nero Info Tool is showing the following message under 'Disc' tab.

Disc Information (H:\)
------------------
Type : :No disc inserted

Does this say anything, ScottW?

-K

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Hmm, that's not good. Try putting the disc in the drive before Vista starts, when the system is booting up. See this KB article from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939052

Also, try booting the system into Safe Mode with Networking, by tapping F8 during boot up (at the splash screen) until you get to the Advanced Boot Options menu. See if the drive behaves normally in Safe Mode. I suspect a software or driver problem more than a bad disc or bad drive problem.

Posted 5 years ago

karteekkarteek001

ScottW,

Please suggest whether the formatting the OS could help me to sort out this problem. I am ready to do so. But if it is not helping me then the situation may go further worse.

The problem is with only Data DVDs. I am playing/copying/burning all types of Video, Audio DVDs/CDs. But Data disc is not being recognized.

I read th MS KB Article, in which it has been mentioned that 'This problem occurs because of an error in the Mcicda.dll file'. And I searched for that particular .dll file and it was found in my laptop. Still the problem persists. Can any one please identify this problem and suggest me the which driver up-date can fix this.

Please suggest. (Not only ScottW, but also any Geek-friend!)

-K

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

K, I have another suggestion for you. I want you to try disabling the CD and DVD burning features built-in to Vista. The reason that I make this suggestion is that I have seen this feature cause all manner of trouble for CD and DVD reading and writing. Also, the process is fully reversible, although if it solves your problem you probably won't want to go back. Follow the instructions in the following article by The Geek. Or, to make it easier, just get the ZIP file from the end of the article. It has 2 .reg files, one to disable burning and another to re-enable it.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-features/

Posted 5 years ago

karteekkarteek001

ScottW, I read that article which is telling about the in-built burning feature of Windows. But the same thing is happening even if I burn a Data DVD with Nero 8. I have just installed Nero 8 (full version) and wrote one Data DVD (Sony). It ejected after the completion of burning process. I just inserted it in and tried to read. It was browsing... browsing.. browsing and finally showing 'Insert DVD in the Drive' dialog box.

I checked it with my friend's laptop and found OK.

-K

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

K, I have seen situations where folks put a known good DVD in their drive and it can't be read. When the disc is first inserted, Vista gets hold of it first and is checking to see if it's a blank disc, if it needs to be formatted, and so on. Sometimes it seems to get confused and will, for example, ask a person to format a disc that has already been written. So even though it is not the burn process which is giving you trouble, I believe that Vista's CD/DVD handling feature can cause problems.

I think that you should try disabling this feature because it has worked for others who were having problems with disc reading.

Posted 5 years ago

karteekkarteek001

ScottW,

As you told, I disabled the Vista's CD/DVD handling feature by the mentioned registry hack!

After this change, I restarted my laptop so that the system might get refreshed completely. Even after the restart, when I inserted the helathy DVD (Data format, burnt by Nero 8), the windows was trying to browse for the data which was on the disc. The only change which I observed was, it was not ejecting the drive after browsing and found nothing (I mean, failed to detect the data on the disc!).

It was just showing the same message without ejection.

As I mentioned earlier, I tried for formatting. I inserted the bootable Windows Vista Ultimate DVD in the drive and restated the laptop. During the booting generally if any bootable disc is there in the drive, it shows an option that "Press any key to boot form the disc".

But here in my case it was trying... trying... for sometime and finally it is showing the following message on a black background.

"Booting GRLDR...
Resetign the boot drive... _"

The cursor was blinking for some time at the last position.
By the noise and behavior of my laptop, I understood that it was browsing for the data, found nothing on the disc (Failed to find!) and finally loads the OS from the C:\ drive.

What does the message "Booting GRLDR..." mean?

Can anybody help me to fix this?

-K

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

According to this thread, copied from the Microsoft Communities discussion group, GRLDR is a Linux GRUB loader file and doesn't belong in Windows. This could be the result of a failed attempt to load Linux. This GRDLDR is also apparently used by some pirated Vista distributions.

Posted 5 years ago

karteekkarteek001

But how is it being shown to me ScottW?

Mine is genuine Windows Vista Ultimate!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Did you ever try to install Linux? Was there ever a Linux on the system?

Some advice in those other forum threads was to delete the file. Since it's not part of Windows, delete it and either the message goes away, or you will get a new message with more information.

Posted 5 years ago

karteekkarteek001

ScottW,

I have been using computer for the past 12 years. Till now I never used Linux and I never installed in my system.

I was surprised when you mention that particular GRLDR appears in Linux.

-K

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!