How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - DVD drive powered off

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by charles132435
  • Latest reply from charles132435
  • Topic Viewed 17447 times

charles132435

Hi,

I have a Lenovo T410 laptop. I tried putting in a CD- the drive spins up for a few seconds, and then nothing. MyComputer says: "Drive is powered off. To turn on the optical drive, press the eject button on the optical drive"

Tried this a couple of times, same result. The option to Power On the drive from MyComputer doesn't do anything, either. I'm running on AC power- thought it might be a power settings issue, but can't find anything on the power manager about it.

Tried going to systems, hardware. The drive is listed there, and the status says the device is working properly.

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

this may help,... http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab0 hope it helps :) sorry its a bit late ... you nealy got away! :):)

Posted 4 years ago

charles132435

Thanks,

I ran the diagnostic in the link you provided. It could not find any solution (or found no problem?) It basically sent me to the "other solutions" link to Microsoft forums.

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

have you tried another cd/dvd, to see if it will read ? EDIT: you say in your opening post it spins up then dies ... (sounds like a reading problem) are you trying to play music, or read data, or play a film ?

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

it might be saying powered off if it doesn't / can't read your disk. I have never seen that message even when a Cd /DVD device was junk.
What message do you get if no disk is in the tray?

Posted 4 years ago

at0mic

try this, removed the drive from your laptop and uninstall the driver. reboot and power down. reinstall the drive and reboot. windows should detect and reinstall the drivers. if you are running any registry cleaners, don't!

Posted 4 years ago

charles132435

After shutting down last night and powering up this morning, all is well. Gotta love it. ;-)

In any case, to answer some other questions, it was a music CD. I also tried a data CD with some jpg images stored on it. It couldn't read either one. The message on MyComputer was the same whether there was a disk or no disk in the drive. It just continued to insist the drive was "powered off" and therefore could not read anything.

Thanks- I guess it will remain a mystery.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

charles132435

One more followup- I did eventually find an advanced setting in Lenovo's power management setup. The option under system settings says "Enable auto power-off of optical drives". The default is "Enable", that is, allow the power manger to power off optical drives if some criteria is met. I suspect that was triggered somehow, yet I could not recover from it until I rebooted. I have since set it to "disable".

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.