How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

DVD drive icon disappears frequently...

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by nikhil2761115
  • Latest reply from nikhil2761115
  • Topic Viewed 1299 times

nikhil2761115
nikhil2761115

guys my DVD drive(G:) icon disappears from "my computer" frequently. I need to restart my system to bring it back. But soon, it disappears again. I tried reinstalling windows but its of no use. In fact, the option disappears also from "device manager". What to do guys. Plz help....

Posted 4 years ago

nikhil2761115
nikhil2761115

help plz...

Posted 4 years ago

JHubbard92
JHubbard92

Hey,

I will take an educated guess and say it is a faulty connection from the drive to the motherboard? The fact that you have reinstalled windows makes me think it. I would sent it back to the manufacterer.

This only a guess mind, anyone else got an idea?

Jordan

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

The fact that it reappears after a restart would suggest that there is some process that disables it. You have to observe it and see whether you run a particular program just prior to it disappearing. That will be a tough one to find given that there are always a gezillion processes active.
For a test, you could disable all the start-up programs. Many times it is one of those - especially the security programs.

Posted 4 years ago

nikhil2761115
nikhil2761115

@whs
but if i disable all my startup programs, wont my system crash?? Where to disable the startup? From task manager itself??

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

No, no. Your system will not crash. You can disable them in msconfig (type msconfig into start/search and hit Enter) - but easier is to use this program: http://www.winpatrol.com/
PS: most startups are really not needed there. I disabled most of mine. The only one to really keep is the security program(s) and whatever you explicitely want. See my list - and there are still a few that could go:

Posted 4 years ago

nikhil2761115
nikhil2761115

thnx for the image. I will try it n post my reply soon.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!