The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

DVD Burner reads CD's but no sound.

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by alexhosking
  • Latest reply from alexhosking
  • Topic Viewed 1234 times

alexhosking

I have just built my own computer running XP initially. Everything working fine. Downloaded Windows 7 (RC) and now having problems with DVD Burner. It will read a CD. CD cover, names of songs & artists displayed ok on WMP but no sound. When I try a DVD Movie it says "Loading" and continues to say loading no matter how long I leave it.

Posted 4 years ago

jim

Check what type of cd-dvd disks you need.I had the same problem and it was a matter of a plus and minus or an "R" type that was needed.I even got an entire batch of bad ones.One nick on a batch and none work.

Posted 4 years ago

Rott22

I hadnt built a computer since I used to sneak into dad's office pcs and steal little pieces of hardware to be the super proud owner of a CELERON machine thath rocked lol, anyway I remember cd drives have not only the interface cable but also a thin cable wich is the sound output, dont know if they're made this way nowdays, got to take apart my desktop, I loved frankesteinizing my pc!

Posted 4 years ago

jim

Sounds like fun.I was more into guitar and pedals,and amps electronics in the pre-pc days.Then cncs in machining.Several years on pcs at libraries,but only a few years at home,so learing as I go.This is a good forum.

Posted 4 years ago

alexhosking

Thank you both for your input. To answer Jim's question, I have tried playing normal commercial music CD's and also normal commercial DVD movies. As far as Rott's observation goes there is indeed an Audio connection at the rear of the DVD Burner but I don't recall a cable being supplied with the burner. It also states on the installation instructions to connect an audio cable "if applicable" Since the DVD Burner played CD's while I had XP loaded I am assuming that this audio cable is not required. Also, Devices Manager tell me that the item is working correctly and that the latest Driver is loaded. I think it has to be a software problem so I will just have to keep working at it.

Posted 4 years ago

alexhosking

Further to the above......I have installed a replacement Liteon CD burner which started playing tracks for a few seconds only, then stopped for a while and then restarted. Sometimes the music faded, as if the volume was being turned down, before stopping. In am hoping that this extra bit of info will help someone recognize the problem. I reiterate that there is no problem playing audio tracks from music already in my WMP library.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!