The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

duplicate "My Documents" folders

(18 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by hypoxy
  • Latest reply from hypoxy
  • Topic Viewed 4224 times

hypoxy

my "Documents" folder has all of my documents folders, and it has a sub-folder, "My Documents" which contains of of the document folders that are contained in "Documents" -- how do I correct this

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

It appears you have a duplicate my documents folder within your main my documents folder. You should be able to delete the 2nd copy of my documents. To make sure copy 1 or 2 folders to a temp folder then delete those folders in your duplicate my documents folder. Check your original my documents to make sure nothing happened to those folders you copied to your temp folder.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

hypoxy

Doesn't work, when I delete an item from subfolder it is simultaneously deleted from main folder

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Then somehow it mirrored itself within the my documents folder. This probably isn't the pro's way to correct it but you can try moving all subfolders to a temp folder then copy all but the duplicate my documents folder back to your original my documents folder.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

hypoxy

Didn't work--I'm just going to delete them all and transfer again. I'm well backed up. Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

what happened when you copied to a temp folder & deleted the original my documents folder, then made a new my documents folder?

Posted 4 years ago

Aguro
Aguro

i think theres a program which will automatically detect for redundancy ill tell you real fast
yeah its glary utility (just downloaded it )

Posted 4 years ago

hypoxy

I couldn't move to temp folder, copy or cut.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Did you get any error message, if so what did it say?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Where was the location of your "my documents" folder. As in C:\Users\username\ etc

Posted 4 years ago

hypoxy

on the old computer (XP) it was on desktop as My Documents and also in C:\Documents and Settings\MY Documents

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

And on the Vista computer ?

Posted 4 years ago

hypoxy

I have Win 7, and that's where my problem started--when I moved docs to Win 7. I think I don't understand the "library concept."

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

hi hypoxy, I did the same thing you did when upgrading to Win7. I copied a folder in "my Documents" to "C" drive. I don't have any duplicate folder. Can you copy to a flash drive and delete from there?

Posted 4 years ago

hypoxy

then how do you get it into a library??

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

I don't have mine in the library. I have mmine in C"\my documents. Just personal preference. I will try copying one into the library just what advantage if any.

g-x

edit @ I clicked on my documents in the library folder and made a folder called my docs. It went directly to C:\Windows. That seems a little dumb since I was in the my documents folder. I did move it from Windows dir to my documents folder in the library folder. Seems a little redundant for me.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Moved to Windows 7 Forum.

Posted 4 years ago

hypoxy

There must be some discussion on the use of libraries somewhere. The only thing I've found is for programmers and IT managers.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!