How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Dual Screen XP

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by burrows1980
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 5452 times

burrows1980

Hi,

I have recently connected my Samsung LCD TV downstairs to my pc upstairs.

Is it possible to have windows start menu on both screens? at the moment the tv has windows desktop extended onto it, so only background picture, pain in the hoop having to run up and down stairs dragging stuff from one screen to the other!!

My monitor for the pc is plugged into the D-Sub port and tv into the DVI, tv uses a screen res of 1360x768 and the monitor 1280x1024.

Be handy if theres a program out there that can duplicate whats ddisplayed on the monitor for the tv, Im not bothered if the same window is loaded up on both.

Handy for the likes of iTunes, upstairs and downstairs surround sound on together is well smart for parties!!!

Thanks in advance

Gareth

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

You have a couple of options.

First, windows should allow you to use the tv as a copy of your current desktop, instead of extending the monitor onto it. The only issue there is that it might have trouble with the resolution, but your video card driver should be able to handle that. If you ATI or NVidia, there should be a utility that comes with them to adjust those settings.

Or, you can add a second taskbar to the second monitor if you'd like. Here's two apps that will do that (the first isn't free)
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

sg is correct, you should be able to configure this in your display settings, and the ATI Control Panel or NVidia control panel should give you the options to use the same display, which would probably be useful for sharing iTunes.

Pretty cool setup you have there.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!