The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Dual booting Win7 and XP

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by BadWiscoJ
  • Latest reply from BadWiscoJ
  • Topic Viewed 932 times

BadWiscoJ

I had built my computer a few months back and decided to keep my XP OS on it until Win7 came out. Then when I got Win7 x64 I decided to dual boot it with XP so I could still enjoy all my computer games since most won't run on the x64 architecture. I have XP loaded into a RAID 0 configuration. I bought another HD and installed Win7 on it. rom everything I've read and researched I should get a screen that asks if I want to boot into Win7 or An Older Version of Windows. I don't get this screen. I have to manually go into the BIOS everytime I want to switch which OS I want to boot into.

PLEASE HELP!! This is very frustrating.

Posted 5 years ago

turtlegeek12

Did you try editing boot.ini? and setting a time to display list of operating systems?

Posted 5 years ago

abhishek99

When you boot into Windows 7 then does it show you the HDD with Windows XP . When you boot into Windows XP does it show the HDD with Windows 7. If it does then, download EASYBCD (Freeware!) and try making new entries. And which HDD is slave and which one is the master. Try switching their status like make the current Slave a Maser and the Master a Slave.

Posted 5 years ago

romancingdashadow

I have XP & windows 7 .You need to format drive then partition it then install XP FIRST then install Windows 7 * then your will have the option of booting to "earlier version of windows (xp) or Windows 7.
Another option (probably more suited to you is to d/l EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

EasyBCD is NeoSmart Technologies' multiple award-winning answer to tweaking the new Windows Vista bootloader. With EasyBCD, almost anything is possible. Setting up and configuring Windows boot entries is simple, and there is no easier way to quickly boot right into Linux, Mac OS X, or BSD straight from the Windows Vista bootloader - on the fly, no expert knowledge needed!

EasyBCD is geared for users of all kinds. Whether you just want to add an entry to your old XP partition or want to create a duplicate for testing purposes; if you're interested in debugging the Windows Kernel or septuple-booting your seven test operating systems, EasyBCD is the key.

Posted 5 years ago

BadWiscoJ

Thank you all for the reply's. I did try using the EasyBCD and it turned out to not be that easy. The 1st time I tried it it wouldn't boot to XP at all. Then I tried it a different way and it would boot win7 at all. I uninstalled the program completely and am still in the same boat I was in before.

I'm obviously not setting it up properly. I'll reinstall it if anyone can let me know what its suppose to look like in order to work.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.