The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

dual booting Vista and XP

(34 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by juliejam77
  • Latest reply from pasaltha
  • Topic Viewed 1980 times

juliejam77

Whoops - I do have a problem with the dual boot. It will boot to XP but when I get the choice screen and click to boot to Vista it gives me the choices of the startup repair or start vista normally. choosing repair, it works for several minutes then tells me it cannot repair the problem. If I tell it to start Vista normally, it can't and comes back to the choose vista or xp screen eventually.

Will keeping working on it.
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

You can get the XP version of the .net Distribution here http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....layLang=en
As for the drivers, if your laptop came with a system CD, you may want to pop it in the drive and see if can find them there (but odds are they will be in cab file so they will not be readable). If you give us the model of your laptop we may be able to help you find your drivers.

EDIT: There should have been a recovery partition on your drive. Next time you are in XP look in My Computer and see if it's still there.

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

I have everything working with the dual boot except the ntldr not in XP. I copied the file from my xp disk and it still does not work. Where exactly do I need to put the ntldr and ntdetect.com in XP? I put them in the xp i386 folder.

The laptop did not come with any disks. That is the problem. I ordered some recovery disk from Acer but it will be awhile before it gets here.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 7720-6569

Your help has been great.
Thanks,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

[EDIT: There should have been a recovery partition on your drive. Next time you are in XP look in My Computer and see if it's still there. ]

I don't think it is. It was there a little while back but since you asked, I checked again and don't see it now.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Check this out for the driver issues http://www.tucows.com/preview/335348 it's a shareware but comes with a 15 day trial so it may work out for you.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

I just checked out this laptop and it has copies of the ntldr and ntdetect.com in both the I386 folder and in the root.

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

Well I fixed the ntldr and the xp will boot fine. I used the xp cd to boot and went into the repair and got to a prompt and then used the copy command to get the needed files off the CD. Seemed to work fine.

But now Vista will not boot. I think this is what happened this morning when I first got xp working and then Vista did not work. Once I fix Vista then XP does not boot and back and forth.

Now, when Vista goes to boot, I get a very quick blue screen with writing but it does not stay long enough to see any thing. Then it gives me the the choice of repair or start normally. Neither work.

I may just have to give up on this and upgrade my Dreamweaver if I want to use it on my laptop.

How do I get rid of xp and all this dual boot stuff?

Thanks,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Did you try to set the compatibility mode in Vista to XP SP2 for Dreamweaver? I haven't had to use it, but from what I have heard it works pretty well. The Geek has an article up on Compatibility Mode http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....lity-mode/
Removing XP from a dual boot system was addressed in this forum post a few weeks ago http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=25

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

Yes, I tried the compatability option and nothing.

If I just want to use the XP and leave the Vista on there but not booting - 1) would that matter?
2) How could I get to all the programs I have on the Vista drive?

I was going to ask how I got to the dreamweaver or other programs if they are installed on Vista. Do I have to install all of them on xp too? If so, why would the howtogeek guide I used to start all of this, only tell me to shrink out 10 MB?

Thanks,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

I went into vistabootpro and highlighted xp and clicked on the red x to deleter it as the forum post said. But since my vista is still not booting I am really messed up. I don't have a restore disk and startup repair still does not work.

I don't even see how the dual boot thing would work even if both os's booted. Because now you need to intall programs on both and when I tried to install MS Office that I have I Vista, it would not let me install it on XP.

Any idea how I can just get back to Vista as it was?

Cheers and tears,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Sadly, I don't use vistabootpro so I can't help you there. It seems odd that you can't install Office in XP, I assume your XP is SP2 right?

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

Yes sp2 or it was.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Well then it shouldn't have been a problem, at worst it should have given you MS's toll free number to call for a new product key. I guess it's a moot point since you're going back to Vista.

Posted 6 years ago

pasaltha

Some system manufacturers have a System restore wherein you can get your system back to state it was in the 1st day... you can try pressing Ctrl+F10 or Ctrl+f11 at the boot up.. you might get teh Ghost Restore that is hidden in the system.. or else... call your manufacturer's tech support for full system restore.. that will take about 10-15 minutes in all...

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.