The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

dual booting Vista and XP

(34 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by juliejam77
  • Latest reply from pasaltha
  • Topic Viewed 1980 times

juliejam77

Hi all, I just bought a new laptop with Vista home installed on it. Every thing was great except it would not run my Dreamweaver 8 and I could not get a correctin from Adobe to make the DW work. So I tried shrinking my C: drive and adding a D; drive for XP. No problem. Got the XP installed but could not get the internet to work to get the vistabootpro download. After a few hours, I gave up and re-formatted my new D: drive to get rid of the XP.

Figured I would start again from there. My problem now is that I can not boot the computer at all. It will not boot from Vista or I can not get it to boot from the XP CD even when I change the boot order.

I keep getting the missing hal.dll file error. But I cannot use any of the fixes for that because the computer is just in a cycle of trying to boot and then telling me I am missing the hal.dll file. I cannnot get a prompt or anything I can work with.

I am not sure whether the computer is only looking on the new D: drive for an OS and not the C:drive with Vista.

If anyone could please, please help; you would save my husband a lot of stress having to live with me while I am having a compute problem.

Thank you much,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

after your attempt to boot and your error message, are you getting to a C:\ or D:\ prompt?

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

No, I cannot get to any prompt. I can get to Windows Advanced options menu for Safe Mode but it only gives the same hal.dll error with any of the safe mode choices.
When I look at he OS choices menu, it only shows the D: drive with XP which is really not there since I formatted over it. That is my problem. I cannot get the laptop to recognize the C: drive with Vista or get the hal.dll back in the D: drive to make the XP install again.
Thx,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

You will have to forgive me, I'm at work so I don't have all my material here so I'm trying to do this off the top of my head...
First try to launch Safe Mode with Command Prompt...I get the feeling that may not work, if it does not you will need a boot disk to get to a command prompt.

Once you get to a command prompt (if it is not C:\) type (without the quotes) "cd C:\"
From there type "edit boot.ini"
With some luck, it will be fairly obvious what edits you need to make, if not, let us know what you are seeing and we can go from there.

Sadly, it looks like I'll be in meeting for the next 3 or so hours, so hopefully someone else will be able to chime in a give you a hand in the meantime.

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

The safe mode with command prompt does not work. So what you are saying is that I need a boot disk OTHER than the full version xp pro disk I have?? since that has not worked either.

I was just looking up how to make a boot disk and will have to try to do it on a CD as I do not have a floppy. It seemed kinda hard on a CD so if anyone else has a good way to make an xp boot CD, please let me know. I will be researching in the meantime.

Thanks so much for your help Budohorseman.
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Just as a quick note before I head off, I have had problems in the past with booting from XP CD, but I found it always works when I switched the very first drive to the CD drive in the BIOS, typically its floppy, Hard Disk, CD/DVD, other. Just change your BIOS to boot first from the CD/DVD, then floppy and finally the Hard Disk.

Posted 6 years ago

merajahmed

hi, u can install xp once again by booting with XP cd by the above said method (by budohorseman) at the same location where u had installed it earlier. After that get a copy of Bootloader pro and use it to make ur pc dual boot as explained elsewhere on this site. hope this helps

Posted 6 years ago

pasaltha

i hope you are provided with a Vista OS CD along with the laptop.. just boot from the Vista CD, Select "Repair My Computer" the select "Command Prompt".. Then Type "notepad" and hit ENTER on the command promt.. browse the folder and try to find "boot.ini" file in the C: drive. Please let us know what you see

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

To pasaltha - No Vista CD. This is the first time I have bought a computer that did not come with a disk. Really stinks.

To merajahmed & Budohorseman - I have tried to boot with the XP CD with it as the first boot on the list in the BIOS and it still does not work. It does not work second either and the Vista OS will not been seen by the computer.

I think the biggest mistake I made was to re-format the drive that I created for the XP.

Still looking for suggestions as nothing is fixed. I am going to attempt a boot disk made from my desk top that has the XP on it, but I am not sure if that will work for the hal.dll file because of the different hardware on the desktop vs. the laptop.

Thanks to all,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

Hi all,

Still tying to find an answer but maybe I have made a little progress.

I could not figure out how to make a xp boot disk as all the sites I looked at wanted me to use 6 floppy disks and I don't have a floppy drive.

I then remembered that on my old laptop, which was XP Home ED, that I had 4 Quickrestore System Recovery CD's. I put the first one in and it showed a menu but it also said it would reformat my hard drive if I continued so I stopped and took the disk out but somehow ended up with a C:\ prompt in DOS. I can't seem to do much with it though. It only shows 90 files on the C drive and no directories which I am not sure is correct or not.

Just to recap, my new laptop can with a C: drive loaded with Vista and other stuff AND a second partitioned D: drive called DATA. What I did was shrink a little of the C: drive for the XP and renamed that drive D: (XP) - left the C: drive as is and named VISTA and changed the original D: drive to E: for the data and then my CD-rom is the F: drive.

Does anyone have any ideas not that I have a C: prompt?

It will not let me change to a D: drive or an E: drive from the C prompt.

Thanks and getting frustrated ;-)
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

Well good news! I have made some progress. After not being able to make the C prompt do anything that would help, I finally clicked on ctrl alt del and wonders of wonders - the laptop started to boot from the CD drive in which I still had my XP CD. It allowed me to install the XP again on the D: which I have now done. So basically I am back to where all my troubles started.

Except this time I thought I was ready. I have the Vistaboot pro on a disk to install and the .net framework v 2 it said I needed. I installed the .net framework and then the Vistabootpro.

Now my problem is the Vistabootpro. It comes up with an initialization error for the .net framewor when I try to start the vistabootpro. I have tried putting the framework in several times and it is fine.

Could this be because I still do not have internet access?

My network connections show I have a network but it is not getting an IP address or anything. This laptop is wireless and sitting right next to my router. The laptop has never had any problem before being wireless.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get the internet?

Getting closer,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

I'm gonna make a guess and say you probably need an XP driver for you NIC. Go to Start...Settings...Control Panel....System...Hardware tab...Device Manager. If there is a caution flag by your network adapter, then you need a driver for it. You can check the support section of your laptop manufacturer and if they do not have one there you will need to go to the website of the network adapter.

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

You are exactly right Budohorseman. But I am having a devil of a time trying to find the drivers I need.
The Acer website is lacking and I am not quite sure what to do. I will probably have to call Acer tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

You can try downloading EasyBCD. It does the same things as VistaBootPro. It also uses .NET Framework so it may also not work but it's worth a try.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Sorry, busy day at work and about bedtime now ;-) but could you see which Network Chip you had in device manager? FYI I'm on CT so we should be good for tomorrow.

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

Good Wednesday Morning!

I tried the Easy BCD and since it is the same with the .net framework, it does not work.

In the device manager, I have:

Network adapters - 1394 network adapter (which is OK)

Other Devices -
Ethernet Controller ?
Network Controller ?

There are some other things with ? marks under the "other devices". EX: Base System Device PCI Device
SM Bus Contoller Video Controller but I should be able to get these cleared up once I can get online.

In the book that came with the computer, I can find - WLAN: Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)

Does any of this help?

Thanks again,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

I have had some sucess. I was able to get the intel pro/wireless driver and got the internet working, but even with the internet working, the computer cannot find the drivers for the other problem devices. Also, the vistabootpro or easybcd still won't work. Still tells me I need the .net framework.

Julie

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

Update:

I am down to (3) BASE SYSTEM DEVICES
(1) PCI DEVICE
(1) SM BUS CONTROLLER

showing as not working in my device manager.

But the other big problem is that I still cannot get the Vistabootpro to work.

Do you have an idea on how I can figure out what these 5 items are that are in need of drivers?

Thanks,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

New problem - I uninstalled the .net framework and re-downloaded it on the laptop directly since I can connnct to the internet. That worked, vistabootpro opened and I followed the rest of the instructions on the howtogeek but when I restarted my computer, all I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor line. No drive notation or anything.

What did I do wrong?

Thank you,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

juliejam77

Never mind on last post. I turned power off to the laptop and then restarted. The choice for a vista or xp boot showed up. Seems to be working but on Vista it is not doing a startup repair since I did not shut down correctly.

So I think I am down to the missing drivers.

Thanks,
Julie

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!