The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Dual boot windows xp with preinstalled windows 8

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by kush
  • Latest reply from kush
  • Topic Viewed 13445 times

kush

I have installed windows 8. All my devices are working with it except my printer. I googled for drivers but it is not compatible with windows 8. I dont want to uninstall w8 so I thought to dual boot windows 8 with windows xp. I created another drive for installation of xp of about 5gb, and started setup, but i was unable to install it as I was unable to find the drive that i created for wXP in the setup...PLZ HELP

My drives already on my pc are 1. Windows 8, 2. my software, 3. entertainment, 4. system reserved.
How to install wXP with preinstalled windows 8?HELP!!

Posted 2 years ago

ljmichael

First, the system could only be installed on primary partition.
Second,to make sure the numbers of your primary partition, if your primary partition is arleady four, you coule not create any new partitions, from your description it seems like there are three primary partitions with one extended partition already, you must shrink the extended partition (logical partition) and then create a new logical partition, therefore when you want to install xp in it there's no drive.

Solution:
Convert one of the primary partitions into locial partition, then recreat a new primary partition. xxxxxxx about how to convert primary partition to logical
Note: as I now to dual boot Windows OS, you could only first install old version(such as Xp) then install new Windows OS(such as Windows 7, Windows 8), the dual boot will be complete.
However, if you first install new Windows OS, and then want to install old Windows OS, the dual boot would faild, you will loss the new Windows OS.

Edit by mod. You were warned not to mention that site.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Post a picture of your Windows 8 Disk Management and then we'll see. It is not a matter of primary partitions. The only primary partition you need is the system partition containing the bootmgr. An additional OS can be very well installed in a logical partition because the BCD will go into this system partition.

There are a variety of possibilities why your scheme does not work. For one you could have created dynamics by adding a 5th partition. Another problem could be that the XP BCD has problems with the EFI bootmgr of Windows 8. But when you posted your Disk Management, we may see more.

Posted 2 years ago

kush

thanks for solution ljmichael
I will try your solution. And in responce to your last line..there is a software for that "EasyBCD"..that will work.
I googled for it and found that software..i was just unable to find my created drive in setup..and for that you gave me the solution..thanks

Posted 2 years ago

kush

heres the pic that you want my Windows 8 Disk Management

Posted 2 years ago

whs

That is exactly what I suspected. Your partitions were converted into dynamics when you created the 5th partition. Nothing will work with those. The NTFS file system dows not allow more than 3 primaries and one extended partition. But underneath the extended partition you can create 124 logical partitions. You have to do the following:

1. Delete the partition you last created

2. Reconvert the dynamic partitions into primary partitions. The best program to use is Partition Wizard 4.2.2. This is an older version of PW which you can only download from here (pw422): https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b0a22789320e3247&sc=documents&id=B0A22789320E3247%21215

Note: This is an .iso that you have to burn to a DVD and run the program from the DVD reader. For burning the DVD, you can use ImgBurn: http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

3. Convert the C partition from primary to logical. That you do also with PW. Highlight the C partition and then the controls are under the Partition tab > Modify.

4. Now you can create an additional logical partition where you can install XP

Note: On your system, Operating Systems can be in logical partitions because you have the primary System partition where all the BCDs go.

Posted 2 years ago

kush

Hey whs,

You gave me the link to download PW. I downloaded it but how to install it??
There's no setup file in it, no run file, nothing.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

@kush ,

Please re-read Whs post above.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

It is an .iso that you have to burn to a dvd (or CD) and run from the CD reader.

Posted 2 years ago

kush

i know that my friend, i have extracted it, i am taking about after that.
after extracting it there's no file to run or not any setup file..!

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Once you burn it to cd/DVD you boot from it.

Posted 2 years ago

kush

I have found 1 article about that and they also have NTFS file system and have successfully installed windows XP..!

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.