(Solved) - Dual Boot - Rename OS

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from InDiSent
  • Topic Viewed 28203 times

InDiSent
InDiSent

Hey Guys,

I'm dual booting windows XP and Windows 7. When the lappy starts up i get the choice of "Windows Older Version" and "Windows 7". How do i rename windows older version to windows xp or whatever i may wanna call it? Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

snjblack
snjblack

boot.ini (in windows partition !! maybe in C: or D:)
!!! it's a hidden file, so you can view it typing C:/boot.ini or D:/boot.ini in RUN

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Posted 5 years ago

snjblack
snjblack

be careful when changing !!!
Just change the - "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Or,
Download EasyBCD
Use the change settings tab
Change the name to something you want
Save settings
Reboot

Posted 5 years ago

snjblack
snjblack

you can change these thiings :

timeout=30

/fastdetect (is the default OS)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@snjblack, there is no boot.ini in Vista or Windows 7. Both OSes now use Boot Configuration Data (BCD). See the BCD FAQ at MS TechNet for more:
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....21886.aspx

@InDiSent, if you read the FAQ, above, it has some introduction to the bcdedit command line which you can use to change the description that shows up in the Win7 multiboot loader. Boot into Win7, start an elevated command prompt, and run "bcdedit". That will spit out the info on the BCD entries so that you can find the GUID of the XP entry. The GUID is the {big long number in squiggly brackets} or, if you only have XP and 7, you can probably use the shortcut {ntldr} to address the XP entry. To change the description, run:

bcdedit /set {ntldr} description "Windows XP Professional SP3"

and replace ntldr with the full GUID, if necessary, and put whatever you want in quotes for the description. That's the geeky way. All others should follow Scott's advice and just use EasyBCD!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,

THANKS for the post giving the Technet information concerning the New Boot Manager.

As for as I'm concerned, The New Boot Manager is one of the (LEAST) understood and one of
(MOST IMPORTANT) Changes MS made with the introduction of the Vista O/S.

Any other information you may have or find concerning the New Boot Manager would certainly be welcomed especially by me.

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Awesome!!! Thanks Guys. I did it the "Geek" way and I'm all set.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

To geek or not to geek? At least there are options. :-)

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I just tried it in RC1 and it wont work. Is it just me?

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

InDiSent, did you run bcdedit in Win7, or from the Recovery Environment? And what operation are you trying -- the /set {} description command from above?

I don't have my Win7 up right now, so give me a while to test it. I do know that I ran EasyBCD in Win7rc and it worked fine.

Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I did it this way :
@InDiSent, if you read the FAQ, above, it has some introduction to the bcdedit command line which you can use to change the description that shows up in the Win7 multiboot loader. Boot into Win7, start an elevated command prompt, and run "bcdedit". That will spit out the info on the BCD entries so that you can find the GUID of the XP entry. The GUID is the {big long number in squiggly brackets} or, if you only have XP and 7, you can probably use the shortcut {ntldr} to address the XP entry. To change the description, run:

bcdedit /set {ntldr} description "Windows XP Professional SP3"

and replace ntldr with the full GUID, if necessary, and put whatever you want in quotes for the description.

It says the change was successful, but when i reboot it still says "old version"

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I was finally able to try this in Win7rc and had no problems. The entire transcript is available in the HTG pastebin. Here is the highlight:

C:\>bcdedit /set {ntldr} description "Windows XP Home (SP3)"
The operation completed successfully.

Since I am using Win7 and XP, they are both assigned helpful nicknames, {current} and {ntldr} respectively. If you are dealing with Vista and Win7, probably only one of them will be {current} and for the other you need the {full GUID} number.

Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

YAY, it worked. I was replacing the GUID with the {big long number in squiggly brackets}.

Thanks Scott.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!