How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Dual Boot Problems

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by PackDrill
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 380 times

PackDrill
PackDrill

Hey Folks, I need desperate help, and fast!
So I split my SSD which already had Windows 7 installed so I could install windows xp.

I first noticed that I was getting a BSOD when I tried to install windows xp to the partition I made, so I changed the settings on my BIOS to IDE, which worked, I saw all my hard drives labeled when I installed windows xp, and I chose to install it to my "N" drive which is my split SSD, everything installed fine, super quick as well.

NOW It resarted and I got an error message in black that reads:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem,
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware
Please check the windows documention about hardware"...etc

SSD - 111.76mb
I'm using 10GB for Windows XP and the rest for Win7.

I'm running very high end set up, I don't even think I need to list them.
And yes my SSD supports windows xp O.S. I have checked.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

I would like to at least boot to EITHER O.S just as long as I can add both to boot path and boot with the selection page after post asking for which O.S to install.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Hi,
Check this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

Hey Scorpion99, Been there done that, those steps don't help me because after I insert my windows xp disc I never get a prompt to press R for recovery console, right after the files for windows xp installation are finally done getting ready the first screen I see shows a list of all my HDDs/SSDs and only 3 buttons I can press (enter to install) D to delete partition and F3 to exit set up.

I've gone to the partition where I installed xp and deleted it, now it is just an unallocated space, but my Windows 7 ssd that I use to boot is still there and I didn't touch it, if I could at least boot to Windows 7 at this point I'd appreciateit.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

This is the window I should see, but I don't get it ever when I insert my disc.
http://0.tqn.com/d/pcsupport/1/0/8/0/-/-/rc3.jpg

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

This is what I get instead (this is off the web of course, not my Hard drive set up you see here:
HERE

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Installing XP alonside with Windows 7 on a SSD is a BIG mistake. Reason is because XP does not support Trim. That will deteriorate the SSD overall performance over time. XP belongs on a spinner. That's what it was designed for.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

Ah man that I know but the person who wants this pc finished doesn't care at this point he'll get a separate hdd later on. I just need this system running.
I'm about to take the easy way out and just plug the SSD to another computer backup the files I want and reformat that SSD completely with Windows 7 which will bring me back to exactly where I was before

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It looks like you have driver problems with XP. You may have to slipstream the drivers for that PC onto the XP installation disc. But I would still recommend to put a HDD into that system and install XP there (disconnect the SSD during that installation and disconnect the HDD when you install Win7 on the SSD).

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!