The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Dual Boot Issue XP&WIN7

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Quick420
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 722 times

Quick420

I recently had xp and win7 dual booting and decided to get rid of the RC and wait it out for the full release,ok? So I went ahead and deleted and formatted the partition with win7 on it,then I merged the two partiitions with partition magic.Everything works fine EXCEPT I still get the dual boot screen asking which OS to boot to.There seems to be a couple remnants left over I guess.I have a folder named boot on my c: drive and a file called bootmgr(hidden). I suspect these are the culprits but dont want to risk not being able to boot if I delete them.

Posted 5 years ago

mikisu
mikisu

Edit the boot.ini file as these instructions HERE

You will find both OS are written into the file.

Carefully remove the OS you dont need .

Backup first.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Quick420, hello. You will *not* find Windows 7 mentioned in the boot.ini file. The Windows 7 boot manager is still installed on your system. That bootmgr file and the BOOT folder are part of it, as you suspected, but not all of it.

To fix this, you need to download and install the freeware utility EasyBCD. There are two ways to handle it.

1) You could leave the boot manager alone, set XP as the default OS and set the timeout to 0. In EasyBCD, click on the Change Settings button, then under Global Settings select XP as the default OS (if it's not already done). Set the Bootloader Timeout to 0, then click the Save Settings button. After that, you should not see the boot manager screen again.

2) You could ditch the Windows 7 boot manager and restore the system to booting XP-style. In EasyBCD, click the Manager Bootloader button, then under Bootloader Installation Options, select Uninstall the Vista Bootloader (use to restore XP), then click the Write MBR button. Note that the Vista and Windows 7 bootloaders are essentially the same thing.

Posted 5 years ago

Quick420

Thnx for the quick replies both of you guys.I did check the boot.ini already.I'm beginning to understand how Vista and Win7 handle this operation now,boot.ini-ntldr etc have been replaced,or "updated' I will grab easybcd and post back with my results.Thnx again you two for the help,I was beginning to grasp at straws here :P

Posted 5 years ago

Quick420

Ok I used easybcd and option 2,remove the bootloader and rebuild MBR.Worked perfect! Can easybcd be uninstalled now? Thnx for the help ScottW.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Quick420, glad that worked for you. Yes, you can now uninstall EasyBCD. You can also delete the bootmgr file and BOOT folder, if you wish.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.