SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Dual Boot Issue : How to find correct SATA driver?

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by yesanastasia
  • Latest reply from supermansghost
  • Topic Viewed 3111 times

yesanastasia

Hi,
I'm attempting to make an XP disc with nLite for my new HP dv6000 laptop (actual model is 6426CA).

As many other users have experienced, when I tried to boot off the actual system cd, my hard drive couldn't be found.

I've learned that my hard drive is a Toshiba MK2035GSS, and have spent the last hour and a half looking for a driver for this make. I have checked the HP/XP driver site http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=3443979 but none of the links look like what I need. I have also found the Toshiba site to be lacking.

Am I searching for the wrong thing, in looking for the driver for this specific HD? Is there a more general driver or that will power this HD? I've seen mention of downloading Intel Chipsets to fix a similar problem, but I don't understand exactly what that would do, as it doesn't sound to be related to the HD itself.

Can anyone help me to narrow (or expand) my search? Alternative recommendations are also welcome!

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

You need to find the SATA controller driver. HP should have it under the XP Professional drivers, I think.

The problem is that XP doesn't know how to recognize the controller... the drives are supported by the controller driver.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!