The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Dual Boot EEE PC with XP & Ubuntu

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by capatt
  • Latest reply from capatt
  • Topic Viewed 7636 times

capatt

Today's article was very timely (at least for me) because I just purchased an EEE PC 901. It's the XP version with only 12GB, so I was wondering if the tutorial could be modified to install Ubuntu, or other (eeXubuntu, eeebuntu, etc) on an SD card instead. I have a 16GB class 6 SD card......

Thanks for the great article.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Charles,

You had one example posted on the forum below.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008.....ntu-linux/

As these machines are becoming very, very popular, I feel sure one of our members will post a How-To shortly.

I think you made a wise purchase when you bought that particular computer.

Believe it will serve you well.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

pipo
pipo

hi capatt, may i know what article you're referring to, i'm also planning to buy a EEE PC (either the 900 or the 1000H, coz the 901 wasn't released in our country). how's your EEE PC working for you, any problems so far?

Posted 5 years ago

ross

hi pipo -

I can't speak for capatt, but I have a 900, and I have mixed feelings about it. It's certainly functional, no problems that way - I just have issues w/ the keyboard (it's to small for my fat fingers). I suppose it's something that you'd get used to after prolonged use. Aside from that it's a neat little device.

Posted 5 years ago

pipo
pipo

thanks ross, i've been reading reviews about it and it looks like you have the same problem as with the others about the keyboard (i guess it really is small, i'm still too lazy to go to a store to check it out, hehe).

Posted 5 years ago

ross

My response was eaten when HTG experienced that brief outage. So here it is in a nutshell. My mum has no problem using the keyboard, she's typed out long emails and didn't complain at all. I'm giving her the Eee PC once I'm done using it (to write Eee PC tutorials).

Posted 5 years ago

capatt

Pipo - So far I love the 901. I've finally finished customizing and backing it up so it's just the way I want it. A couple of interesting points is that it came configured without virtual memory - no swap file was set up. I set one up and swapped out the 1 GB SoDIMM for a 2GB SoDIMM. It runs faster and more smoothly now. It came with a lot of applications I didn't want: MS Works, OpenOffice, etc. I purchased a 16GB SDHC card for additional storage, then went to portableapps.com and loaded their suite on the card. The card is a Patriot Class 6 and very, very fast. It seems just as fast as the solid state drive. So, I have a total of 28 GB of storage.
I've configured some partitions and am now looking for the right version of Ubuntu to install. Will it be eeeXubuntu, or Ubuntu eee?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!