SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Dual Boot attempt - now Vista won't boot!

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by chadcham
  • Latest reply from chadcham
  • Topic Viewed 1582 times

chadcham

I followed th directions on the 'Install Windows XP on Your Pre-Installed Windows Vista Computer' article, and when I got to the step to install XP on the new partition XP only saw the C drive partition that Vista (not the new one) and only gave me the option to format and install it. When I tried to boot back onto Vista to find out why this happened, Vista would not even boot. It just sits there at a black screen. I can change my bios to boot to the XP install CD, but I cannot boot from the hard drive into Vista.

I have an HP DV2000 series laptop. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get back into Vista? Also, this HP laptop did not come with a format install disk for Vista.

Thank you!
Chad

Posted 6 years ago

chadcham

I got a copy of a Vista install DVD, and tried to do a 'repair' on my Vista installation. And I ran into what is probably the true problem: It does not recognize that the hard drive is formatted. The XP installation has this same problem.

So my question is now, what happened and how do I get my data back??? All I did was use Vista's tools to shrink the C drive and then I added the new XP partition. I have not done anything else to this point?

I hope there is someone out there that has any idea how to fix this.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!