The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Drives needed for Dual Boot

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by arthew
  • Latest reply from JDorfler
  • Topic Viewed 1179 times

arthew

I want to dual boot XP Pro and Ubuntu on my machine. Can I use two seperate physical, not logical, hard drives or do the programs need to be on the same physical drive that is partitioned? I will be reformating my drives so how much space should I give Ubuntu to run comfortably? At this point I am trying Linux, it will not be my main OS, but I am more serious than to just run it from a CD.

Posted 5 years ago

fastbullet

If you have two physically separate hard drives, what is it that you need to reformat?

If you have two physically separate hard drives, why would you not use one entire hard drive for Ubuntu and the other entire drive for XP?

I get the impression you are confusing your terminology and should do a bit more homework before going any farther. Unless you are trying to install Ubuntu onto the same Hard drive as an existing XP (or vice versa) and not installing the two OSs on separate drives, I do not understand the problem or the question(s).

Posted 5 years ago

JDorfler

I hate advertising my blog*, but I have what I feel is a great step by step for dual booting Windows and Ubuntu.

*edit by mod, you can't. Please see poster's profile for link.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

I'd hate to do it too :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

JDorfler

Profile updated. I see you read my dribblings, raphoenix. LOL!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.