driver for windows 2000 professional

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by abrar
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1048 times

abrar
abrar

Dear all,

I have one windows 2000 professional os pc. Due to some problem i have format the pc. Now i am unable to findout the drivers for that.even i dont have drvides. so please anybody can help for this.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Windows 2000 is 13 years old, and support for it ended on July 13, 2010. I doubt you will be able to find drivers for it, maybe you could try on the manufacturer's support webpage. But i strongly recommend you to upgrade to a newer operating system such as Windows 7 or Lubuntu 12.10.

Windows 7 has a 30-day free trial. You can download the official Windows 7 Install DVD ISO images from here. You will have to buy a license after that, so I recommend getting Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (x86) for compatibility and because it is cheaper. Try it before buying it, to make sure it runs OK on your hardware.

Lubuntu is a light version of Ubuntu, better for old computers. It is free, you can download it from http://lubuntu.net/ . You can first try Lubuntu from the install CD without having to actually install it, give it a try.

There are also other free Linux distributions suitable for you, such as Linux Mint ( http://www.linuxmint.com ) or Zorin OS ( http://zorin-os.com/ ), which is focused towards Windows users installing Linux for the first time.

You can find help about installing Windows 7 or any Linux distribution on this forum.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What drivers do you need ?

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Go to Run--->dxdiag and see what is the System Model and tell us.
We will help you in searching it. Once we know what are the hardware devices , we will search it one by one on their site.

Posted 1 year ago

john3347

I have 2 Windows 2000 computers, one laptop and one desktop (far and away the most stable OS ever from Microsoft - including the highly touted Windows 7). I have reinstalled the OS on both computers in the last two or three years without any driver problems that I recall. The windows drivers are satisfactory on my hardware. If you suspect that you are going to have a problem with a particular piece of hardware, go to that hardware manufacturer's website and see if the specific driver is still available. In many cases, an XP driver will work on a 2000 OS.

Edit: Just remembered that I did have problems with getting a USB WiFi adapter to work on the desktop. I had a free slot in my router for another Ethernet connection so that works for internet.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If you run it virtual in VMware Player with XP, Vista or Win7 as the host, then you would not encounter a driver problem. If you need to know how, let me know.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If you don't understand this, don't feel bad as don't understand it either from "a Coding Point of view".

http://www.sevenforums.com/vir.....ivers.html

I have never been able to grasp how a VM can make its' own device drivers out of "thin air".

As I stated in my first sentence, from a "C" or even Low Level Assembly Language, I do not understand how it works BUT a VM Does Work !!!!

Wish, Lowell (The Geek) would write a Technical Coding Article about it for sure !! :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, VM does not make device drivers. It channels the I/O requestst thru the facilities/drivers of the host system. It is an iinterpretive way of working, not a direct request to the device.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

whs. Wouldn't that only work if the OS's in both system and VM were the same ?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Nah, It works for any guest OS. I have even run Android as a guest on a Windows 7 system. It was not too swift (because the touch UI is not made for a mouse), but it worked.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.