How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

driver code 28, crc

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by semiretired
  • Latest reply from semiretired
  • Topic Viewed 1525 times

semiretired
semiretired

I have an old Dell p4 sx260, 2.53 that runs XP upgraded to Windows 7 and also runs Ubuntu. While in Ubuntu, the ps2 trackball, usb mouse and printer all work with no problems. In XP/7 the usb mouse and printer will not work. I have tried the normal "fixes" found on the internet and none work. This computer was in a large dlan one time. I just removed the logon request.

Also since I've loaded Windows 7 onto XP, I am stuck with windowsxlive becoming one of my homepages every time I restart. It's a nuisance.

Posted 4 years ago

semiretired
semiretired

The only cures I find in searches cost money.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

The homepage problem is normally easy to fix. Go to IE Tools > Internet options > And either use "current" or "blank" (which I prefer). For your USB devices you may have to install the drivers first. You may be working with a generic driver that W7 picked that does not correspond to your devices.

Posted 4 years ago

semiretired
semiretired

whs, I use tabbed browsers............yahoo, msn and netscape/seamonkey. When I unsubscribe to winsowsxlive and remove it from my homepages, it comes back when I restart and replaces one of the homepages that I want.

The printer and usb mouse problems actually were present before I did the 7 transformation.

I can try the driver before the usb mouse, but the printer is the old lpt1 port.

Posted 4 years ago

semiretired
semiretired

I get the code 28 when I try to load a driver for the HP PSC 500 printer/scanner/copier and an "invalid data" code when I load the usb mouse.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!