The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Dreaded BSoD

(40 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by alexhosking
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 5624 times

alexhosking

Thank you all again for your posts. It gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling knowing that you are out there (somewhere) in the world taking an interest in this problem of mine. Just as a matter of interest my posts are coming from Queensland, Australia.
If you don't mind me saying so I think we are getting bogged down in discussions about Internet Security. I was rather hoping that someone would have a look at the numbers in my first post and tell me if you also have them. This would probably help me to illiminate some as being harmless. (Contol Panel - Programs & Features - View Installed Updates)
I know that a real "Geek" would not allow Microsoft to install anything on their computer that they couldn't poke at first. There is a chance that you may have viewed some of these updates and considered them unnecessary and not bothered to install them. I was also hoping that I would get a few responses from people along the lines of...."yes, my computer also crashed after installing KBxxxxxxx update".
Perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree here (or perhaps it was coincidense) that my troubles started directly after these automatic updates were installed. My computer was working perfectly for about 4 months prior to that.
My own personal view is that one of the above mentioned updates has caused a conflict with a program or software already installed on my computer. How to find it? Aye, that's the rub.

Posted 6 years ago

billbonza

Gday.Do you know kylie minogue? Get me her number..

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

bill. Kylie mostly lives in England. But she has a house in France too, and another in Oz i believe.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

I checked my update history and the updates I don't have are:kb89083,kb90,kb94. All the other updates mentioned by Alexhosking,I do have.I've never heard of an update with only 2 digits as in kb90 or kb94,might want to check on those two,good luck.

Posted 6 years ago

alexhosking

Hey......C'mon you guys. Concentrate on my problem and forget Kylie Minogue! Don't you think that if I knew her address here in Oz I would already be knocking at her door. Well......maybe not. I am old enough to be her father (damn)
Thank you, sparky, for your post. I will now go and check out those numbers again. If anything interesting turns up I'll let you know.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

The kb89083 is very odd. It is from 2005 and was for XP. I wonder how it got onto your Vista. It is defined as a "Malicious s/w removal tool"

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

I know they just update some updates, and send them out with the same kb number. It could be one of those!

Posted 6 years ago

alexhosking

For sparky's info....KB90 (Update For Windows Junk E-mail Filter) KB94 (Update for Microsoft XML Core Services Service Pack 2) KB89083 (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool) (Thanks whs)
When checking my Installed Updates again I found 3 that I had not uninstalled. I have since done that so I am sitting here with my fingers crossed.
There was one other that I have been unable to remove.....Cumulative Security Update For Internet Explorer 7. Hopefully that is not the one causing my problem.
Well....all I can do now is wait and see.
If the above fixes my problem I will then reinstall the updates one at a time to see if I can pinpoint the offender. If I continue to crash then I will reinstall them all, as I assume they are important updates, and look elswhere for the problem.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

hi alexhosking, i'm actually quite interested in your problem, i've also been having random BSoDs with my laptop (acer) and i also can't seem to find a pattern. my first assumption with my problem was also a Vista update, but i tried installing XP on my laptop, but i still encountered a crash, so my next assumption is a hardware problem. i must apologize, i don't have any suggestions on your problem at the moment, but i hope you get to solve your problem (and share it with us).

btw, i didn't know that windows had a Reliability monitor, thanks for that info.

Posted 6 years ago

alexhosking

Well......after about 5 hours of computing yesterday without a single crash I logged on today to report the good news and.....crashed after about 2 mins!!
At the time of the crash I was reading a PD File (pdf)on the net. I really don't know at this stage if that was significant or not. Of all the things I did with my computer yesterday I can't remember if I had cause to read a pdf file. Anyway, it is just something else I will need to keep tabs on. If I could narrow my crashes down to that it would be a help. To be on the safe side I think I will uninstall Adobe Reader and then do a reinstall of the latest version although I have been downloading the Adobe updates.
Obviously uninstalling that bunch of Vista Automatic Updates (peviously mentioned) has not solved the problem so I will now have to reinstall them all.
I will keep reporting if I find anything else or relevance to this problem.
I would like to ask you, pipo, if you have used the Reliability Monitor yet to trace back to when you first started crashing. It would be interesting to know what you installed prior to that date.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

The Adobe reader can be a real bitch. I had quite some problems with it too. Why don't you get the Foxit reader http://filehippo.com/download_foxit/ and install that for a while as your default PDF reader. The main problem with Adobe I had was when you download a PDF file and Adobe wants to take immediate possession of it. Maybe during the download you can also help it if you use "Save" instead of "Run" and open the file later.

Posted 6 years ago

billbonza

firefox 3 crashes all by itself!

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

There are other possibilities, ram(memory)gone kaput.If possible,switch ram sticks from a machine known to work.Drivers,yes I've been told these buggers can cause BSoD's.Check to see that all your drivers are up to date.Also a corruption in the registry can cause your problem,there are a lot of registry cleaners on the market.I've used PC Pitstop,which is a website,to scan my machines and you may find all kind of crap running around.I even purchased their Optimize 2.0 software and had my machine running like the day I 1st powered it up.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

I should add and you may already know this about ram.If you're able to swap ram,make sure it's the same kind,such as DDR,DDR2,etc.And since it's running Vista,have at least 2gigs.

Posted 6 years ago

alexhosking

Well, guys, I am about to wash my hands on this problem. I haven't replied for over a week, hoping to have something definate to report. Unfortunatley I am none the wiser. The crashes still seem to be random. I have had a number of sessions crash free for several hours and then, bingo, away it goes. The problem is that it happens on a web page or program that I had previously been viewing without a problem.
Just to answer Sparky.....all my drivers are ok and I use Regcure on a regular basis.
Also whs.....I Googled Foxit Reader and the concensus is that it is very good so I may look at replaceing Adobe Reader.
Thanks again to all for taking an interest in in the above.

Posted 6 years ago

alexhosking

Well.......I am back again after a long delay to "optimistically" report that I may have solved my Blue Screen of Death problem. I hesitate at the moment to list it as definately solved but I am hopeful after having a number of crash free sessions. I decided to download "Firefox 3" and made it my default browser. So far, touch wood, no crashes!! What was causing the conflict with IE7 I have not the foggiest idea, I am just happy not to have to keep rebooting. I am using Firefox 3 with my usual Home Page so nothing really looks that different. Some of the terminology used by Firefox is different to IE7 but it is just a case of getting used to it. I will give another update later, on way or the other, but at the moment things are looking good.

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent

Alex,

I would call Dell to see if they are aware of this issue. It sounds to me like a windows update broke something. If you are now crash free after FF3 install then that's good. However, the issue is still there....it just wont affect you if you don't use IE. I wouldn't use IE anyway. In any case, i would still try to get the issue resolved. Have you searched on MS site or Dell site to see if other users reported the same issue and if there is a fix for it? It might be more widespread than we think and there may already be a patch out there.

Posted 6 years ago

alexhosking

One further and last (hopefully) update re my switching from Internet Explorer to Firefox. I have to report, with a great deal of pleasure I can tell you, that it has been over two weeks since I made the change and have not had a single crash since. I don't know if this will work for everyone experiencing Vista crashes but it seems to have worked for me. It would be very interesting to learn if other Vista users have had similar results simply by changing their browser.

Posted 6 years ago

Tower

I'm from the Philippines and also experiencing BSoD on my DELL Studio 1535 with Vista Home Premium SP1 and Eset smart security .
The BSoD appeared randomly while using my computer. I checked my installed updates and KB890830, KB915597 and some KB 94..... are present.
I was able to record SOME OF the error messages,
0x00000124(0x0000000,0x86133238,0xB6200108,0x0002010A)
0x00000124(0x0000000,0x84E1E028,0XB6200008,0X0002020A)
0x00000124(0x0000000,0x88A71028.0XB6200008.0X0002010A)
0x00000124(0x0000000,0x858B9348.0XB2200140,0X0002010A)
0X00000050(0XFFFFFFF8,0X00000001,0X8206D8DC,0X00000000)
DELL support was not able to help me thats why i'm joining this and hopefully some of you guys will be able to help me with this problem.
And by the i have also vista home premium sp1 and eset smart security for 6 months on my acer aspire but no BSoD error yet.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Tower. Welcome to the forum. Could you post your problem in a "New Topic" please. This one is 8 months old.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.