The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

dragging urls

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by billbonza
  • Latest reply from billbonza
  • Topic Viewed 1045 times

billbonza

i often drag a url of a website onto my desktop for a quick short cut. Invariably im using opera, which creates a very bland icon. I cant customize them by right clicking, and i dont want to down load any more icon packs as they're not that great from what ive seen. Dont like object dock either. Please dont suggest using firefox as my default browser because (on the rare occasions that i do use it) it asks me if i wanna use it as my default browser, then plants a window about the google toolbar..but thats a different problem!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

If you right click on that icon, select "Properties" > Change Icon > Browse. Then choose any Icon you have on your hard drive.

Posted 6 years ago

billbonza

thanks,but it doesnt work. Properties doesnt give a customize option..because its not an application i suppose. Any reg hacks maybe?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

What OS are you using?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

See this post from a previous thread. It describes how to make Internet Shortcuts on the desktop displaying the website's favicon with IE7:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-28639

I don't use Opera, but maybe this will help you figure out how to make it work. The kind of file that you want on your desktop is an Internet Shortcut (.url) file. This type of file has a "Web Document" tab in the Properties sheet that has the "Change Icon" button that Lighthouse mentions. If that's not what opera is creating, you can right-click on the desktop and select New -> Shortcut and paste the URL of the page you want in the location. This will create the proper icon type on the desktop, then you need to figure out where to get the website's favicon as described in the above link so you can change the icon from bland to site-specific.

Posted 6 years ago

billbonza

Thanks. I'll have a go. Im not really geek material!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.