SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Downloading SP3 for XP and other M/S security updates.

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nell
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 1000 times

nell

I am just re-installing progs.etc after going back to factory setting, with the help of several forum "techies" you may have followed the saga few days ago. I had SP3 prior to the aggro. and was up to-date with M/S security updates. I have downloaded and ran from M/S site download for SP3, but I am still showing in my Belarc Adviser as SP2 plus over a 100 necessary updates. It seems very difficult to find the right place, can anyone advise me the best sites to visit to update and to get SP3?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Spend less time on application installation until you have tried this; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389#method21

XP updates will take a while to get sorted. I would let MS updates to continue for now.

Reboot after every 'successful update'

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Right Mike, am on the case shortly. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Great Mike, went like a dream and successfully installed. I now have a notation on Belarc that I am missing 123 M/S Security Downloads. What is the best way to tackle that please?

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

Why not just go to Control Panel and select Windows Update and let it check for updates, Windows XP is supported until 2014, so shouldn't be a problem downloading updates, have you got Install updates Automatically selected?

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Yes it is set to update automatically, but having wiped everything off recently I now need to re-instal those missing updates, i cannot see how to do that in Control Panel, it only sets Auto Update, which I have always had on, and up to my recent problems they were all installed.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

nell, you didn't say you had Belarc installed

Belarc Advisor is reporting new updates! A safe program to use.

Install the updates, and enjoy the downtime while this goes on.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Hi Mike, had a look at Belarc, I cannot see a spot to click to download missing updates

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Nell. When you click on Windows Update link in Start menu what happens?

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Phew, just finished. Followed your advice StringJunky, and it has taken from the time of receiving your message until now. I had 127 missing, so am now up to date, going to get off this computer now and see what else life has to offer. Thanks to all, good night.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Can I suggest you go and buy an external hard drive ASAP and then ask here about imaging so you don't have to waste days of your life unnecessarily doing this again? If you'd had an image of your system handy you would have been back to normal in 1/2 an hour or so.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Hi StringJunky, yes, one toddles along no probs. for ages, then, if only I had, etc........
Someone has given me a HDD Western Digital 2TB, and additionally I have just installed Acronis 2013. cost about £20.
Am going to be offline for a bit, but many thanks for your interest and advice. I am taking all steps possible to avoid a repetition of all this messing about.
Have not had the time to get my head round back ups, am sure you will be seeing me shortly.
Bi

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Catch you later. ;)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.