How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Dont know what Email client to use

(14 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by CJ2
  • Latest reply from rmmfl
  • Topic Viewed 903 times

CJ2

Hi,
i have held off installing windows 7 Pro ( which i bought as retail !!) because i am unable to find a suitable replacement email client for Outlook Express. I have tried Thunderbird which sort of works, but the latest version 3 has been a disaster which fails on a number of things just like the equally disastrous Windows Live Mail. Both of these clients fail to always open to inbox now, and WLM i think doesnt even keep your emails on YOUR computer and on some server somewhere !! , and as a business user this is unacceptable to me.
I have now held off installing 7 for about 6 weeks due to this... i really am at a loss and cant bear to be without outlook express , which surprise surprise works brilliantly and does all i need. So whats a guy sposed to do ?
Thank you.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Hi CJ2. Web mail stored on "Some server somewhere" is probably better protected and more secure than your local machine, so long as you use a strong password. Look up "Cloud Computing".

Posted 4 years ago

CJ2

Hi there,
i always keep my email folder on a second hard disk and also back it up to a "My book" i dont feel easy having my mail stored by microsoft ,who may decide to delete very important sales and client data. Besides WLM is appalling and TB3 is going the same way .

Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent

What about Outlook? Do you use a Blackberry?

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Why bother with your email on your system. If you look at the various big forums, you will see that nearly half of the people's problems come from mail - especially when migrating from one system to another. I use AOL and Hotmail and never had a problem. They keep all the stuff upstream and I can retrieve my mail from years ago. And as ProsteticHead said, they know how to protect it much better than I do. Plus, I can install, uninstall, reinstall as often as I want and I never have to worry about mail. Managing your mail is a real waste of time - in my book at least.

Posted 4 years ago

Santo

I agree with whs. I use different email clients at home and work. At home I have different OS installed and managing my email is a big hassle.

Posted 4 years ago

CJ2

I could try outlook, but id have to buy MS Office 2007 i guess. I use hotmail but i wouldnt use that for business in 1000 years ,its alright for fun mail but it isnt what it used to be now its gone all facecbooky. Plus wasnt long ago dear old microsoft decided to wipe about 280 emails in a private folder i had in hotmail. Thats why i like to look after my own mail.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

You should check out Windows Office Live. You can set up your own domains and email quite easily.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

gmail has never failed me, plus it also has the gmail notifier for incoming mails, which is nice.
much of a muchness really.

Posted 4 years ago

CJ2

Thanks for all your suggestions, i really dont want online mail though, i might look at " The Bat" or "Eudora" next. Or just go buy Office 2007 with Outlook.
Thanks again

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Hi CJ2,

Just some quick comments: WLM stores your email on their server ánd on your computer when you use hotmail or live mail. and I think any other webbased email (not sure about the last one). It stores the files in C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail.
When you use WLM for other email (POP3) this does not work and files are only stored on your computer.
So the 'in the cloud computing' only goes for the Microsoft part :)
(to me that was a relief - I don't think in the cloud computing is very wise, even if it might be convenient. See what I wrote about it
here
).

What Os did/do you use before 7?
If you have Vista you can take Windows Mail with you. Just copy the folder to an USB stick or something and copy it to Program Files when you have 7 installed. I don't know if this also works for Outlook Express (would sure like to find out ;D).
I remember from my old Win98 that I had a seperate download to reinstall Outlook Express (messed it up one time and had to reinstall - that was still possible with Outlook Express, not with Windows Mail). Google it a bit and see if you can still find that download. Might be worth the while :)

Best regards,
Sarah.

p.s. I also like Outlook Express/Windows Mail best

Edit: found a link here: http://www.tucows.com/preview/205178

Second edit: this link is for OE6, even better:)
Does also install IE btw, but if you don't use that and use another browser that should not be a problem.

Btw - I have no idea if this is going to work on 7, you'll have to give it a try, so make good backups etc. But I take it you were aware of that already :)

Posted 4 years ago

CJ2

Hi Sarah J
Thank you for all the links, i dont like cloud computing either.. i am still using XP Pro as i like it more than Vista and W7 but i know ill have to change eventually, i was in conversation with you before regarding WLM and Thunderbird and how for some reason we couldnt get them to open straight to inbox like you could in Outlook Express and Windows Mail. Still dont know why they took out the option to always open to inbox, coz why would anyone want it to open back into the last folder viewed ?? But thats how they work now and so does Thunderbird 3.
I am thinking of buying Outlook 2007 to use as neither WLM or TB3 are up to scratch now.
I'll let you know how i get on soon !!
Thanks again.

Posted 4 years ago

semiretired

I have trouble sending email to "hotmail" people on occasion, so that would be out. As much as I hate to cave in to the big guys, google is a good alternative. I still use Seamonkey's built in email for my fun email and it opens everything and stores it on my computer and I use the windows mail that came with Vista for my wife, bills, shopping, etc. I have talked people out of Comcast's email, because it will not open everything. You really need a "save it at home" and a google to accomplish everything and also stay connected where ever you are. I use a go phone, so I do not have the cell phone options of others.

Posted 4 years ago

rmmfl

For what it's worth I agree wholeheartedly with Prosthetichead i.e. Windows Office Live. I used to use Office 2007 Outlook and Outlook Express but have found that Office Live Mail is great. You can set up multiple accounts, and create folders to store Messages very easily.. It is web based, no app necessary. I have 2 email accounts via Office Live Mail and in my main account I have set up around 10 folders to store Info from different folks including personal and business contacts. Very handy. And again, it is Web based so no app is needed. I have also set up an account which I use when I go out to a website that asks for an email address. I call it my Junk Account. WOL also allows you to set up Junk Mail very easily. If it does not recognize the sender you can easily allow the user or prohibit the user. It beats Thunderbird (the new V3 also) as well IMO. The interface is easy to use and is, in my opinion, far superior to anything else out there. Just my 2 cents, or based on the length of this post I guess it's my two bucks :-) BTW, this IS NOT Hotmail, it is a new, improved web based app.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.