SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - DoNotTrackMe add-on for firefox any good?

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by amkeew
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 1049 times

amkeew
amkeew

https://www.abine.com/

good/bad/areyounutz?

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

btw, the site sez cnet sez - Rates DoNotTrackMe “Spectacular”.

How good is cnet rating?

Yes, I know, that's two questions.

No, I am not starting another thread on cnet ratings.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Tis ..Good....... and agree with cnet.....

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

What browser are you using? Chrome already has it in Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Privacy > Send "Do Not Track" Request.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Drizzle - Thanks. I installed it. It racked up over 100 blocks within a short time. One problem though it blocks some parts of twitter posts posted in blogs. The sender, reply, retweet, favorite buttons are not seen and it just shows only the message in annoying italic mode. Unfortunately, it doesn't have any options to ignore twitter feeds while blocking.

Now I am in two minds for the addon seems to be too effective. :)

SJ - I use firefox exclusively. It too has Tools/Options/Privacy/"Tell websites I do not want to be tracked" option, which doesn't seem to be effective at all.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Been using it for a while now, with much succes;

Re twitter, click settings and click twitter badge? thus:

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Mike - How do you get that settings ? When I click options, I get a small (and fading) square on the right hand corner in a new page but I don't see any settings button.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Open DNTM and hit the star button;

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

I don't see the star button in DNTM. May be I need registration ?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Can you post a screenshot of your open DNTM window?

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Mike - Got it. My other add-on NoSquint settings was making the star button only partially visible. After disabling nosquint, I could see the star button on the top, went and allowed twitter badge, as you suggested and it worked. I re-enabled nosquint add-on and it still worked.

Thanks a bunch.

This site is great for computer non-geeks like me.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Try this one: https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/#easyprivacytpl

I personally use a purpose-designed Hosts file that whs pointed to once but it does takes a bit of time to understand and implement it.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

I'm quite a fan of the Hosts file now as I learnt to put my favourite websites in there and they load in a jiffy...the browser doesn't need to chat to the dns server first to get a website's IP as it is already in Hosts.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Glad you sorted it, best regards

But do look at Tony's suggestion above

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Tony - I have been using adblockplus + easylist too from day one.

I will check out the winhelp site too. I am afraid I am now slowly turning into a geek. The plot is getting thickah and thickah. :)

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

will start a separate thread if preferred but wanted to ask ...
how is this one different from TrackMeNot

ive been using the TrackMeNot for what seems like forever but ....
they both seem to claim the same thing. is one better than the other, you guys think?
thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

it's the EasyPrivacy filter I'm pointing to which is a part of ABP but needs to be added.

If you are going to play with the Hosts file save a copy of the original one so you can put it back and make a shortcut on the desktop to the hosts file or else it gets tedious going in and out of it.

Nowt wrong with turning into a geek. You only learn by tinkering and making mistakes.

What i find is if you really lock your browser down sometimes a webpage or link won't work. Have another browser for one-off use that is not so locked down for when you really need a particular facility or access. Java is a good example of not allowing it in your main browser but have the plugin available to enable in another.

Even if you don't end up using the Hosts to block stuff, if you learn and play with what that site teaches you it increases your overall pc knowledge.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.