How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Dongle Over Network

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by carrie650
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 399 times

carrie650

Hello,

Question: Is there a way of putting a dongle over a network, such that it works on two or more PCs, at the same time. The dongle is a sentinel SafeNet Dongle.

Situation: I have a dongle for a piece of navigational software. The software is run on a boat, the boat has two PCs. The first PC is used solely for navigation. The second is a media PC. In order to have a back up in case of failure of the first PC I have installed the required software on the second (media) PC. So if the first fails all we have to do is pick up the USB dongle and put it on the second PC. What would be a nice solution is to have both PCs running the software, so that two people could work on weather routing, however we are not going to fork out another 3 grand just to be able to do it.

Thanks for your time...

Posted 1 year ago

carrie650

Hi just a quick note... I downloaded USB over Network. This let me use the dongle whilst in the first computer, on comp2 however the dongle was then assigned to comp2 and comp1 could not access it... is there a way of making the dongle work on two seperate computers?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi Carrie650 ,

Welcome to HTG ,

The only way I can think of doing what you want is to use a dongle wifi router, I don't have any links as yet as I'm AFK and on my phone.

But I don't think it can be done another way without the dongle choosing one pc or the other.

There may be a way using a network crossover cable but on board a boat you wouldn't want wires trailing everywhere.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I think carrie650 means a security dongle that you must have in the computer in order to access certain web sites and/or programs that are designed for use by only the owner of the dongle. If my assumption is correct then solving this would be to defeat the manufacturers protection which we do not participate in. If not please explain further the actual purpose of the dongle and why it must be used simultaneously on multiple computers.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!